10 days after 1st. chemo

10 days after 1st. chemo

10 days after 1st. chemo I’m writing this to stop myself from crying. I had my first chemo TAC ten days ago and feel like I’m getting a cold. Took my temp (OK) what a hyperchondriac but started worring about my dogs if I had to go into hospital, I have no family (my dad died last year) no friends locally and I think I’ve taken advantage of my neighbours good will. I’ve started to wonder of everyone is right who say I’m selfish for keeping my three dogs and should rehome them to a better healthier new owner. I dont know how I would survive without them but maybe they would be better off. Sorry for moaning on again it is all I seem to do but I have no one to do it to in person.
val

Dear Val

I am so sorry to hear about your situation, I can empathise about chemo as can most of the ladies on here who suffer terribly from the side effects feeling down and crying is just one of them for many of us, you don’t say how many chemo you are going to have, taking your temperature doesnt make you a hypochondriac I do it all the time for the first 2-3 days after chemo and it does go up and down…

I cant imagine what it must be like to have no one to help you through it but I dont think getting rid of your dogs is the answer my love I think that would only add to your feeling down and I expect they are company for you, I am having 6 FEC and although very unpleasant the time has gone really quickly i have my last 2 to go and they will be over in just under 4 weeks. Don’t worry about going into hospital most people don’t get anything too bad you just need to be sensible, you are not selfish for keeping your dogs, many of us have animals, you had cancer and are getting treatment not a reason for anyone to say something like that chemo isnt permanant and there is light at the end of the tunnel…

is there no one that they can recommend to you at the breast clininc that may be able to help out they seem to have different things that they know about help groups etc…I am sure if push came to shove your neighbour would help out…

If you need to cry, cry let it all out you will probably feel better for it I know I do, I’m sorry I cant be more help

take care my love
Lucy
XXXXX

Val,

Please don’t feel that you have to apologise for voicing your concerns - if you think that’s moaning, you should hear my dad! The wonderful thing about this website is that we can all come here to unload when we need to, safe in the knowledge that we are understood. So you go ahead and cry, scream, shout, rant, whatever gets you through - we hear you because, in some way or another, we’ve all been there.

It’s a very sensible thing to be checking your temperature regularly during chemo, especially if you’re getting cold-like symptoms, so well done to you for following advice. I went neutropenic towards the end of treatment, so know how important it is to listen to your body.

As for your dogs, I can only tell you what I think I would do in your position. And I would very definitely keep them! The value of pets to recovering patients is well-documented and if your dogs are to you what my cats are to me, they are part of the family! Having them around is a great comfort and a welcome bit of normality. And when you feel well enough, taking them out for daily walks is great exercise. Remember that chemo is only temporary and you can get through it, with your dogs at your side. But for your own peace of mind, it may be a good idea to make arrangements with someone to take care of them “just in case”. Don’t underestimate friends and neighbours - they are generally only too happy to be able to do something practical to help.

Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Take care of yourself and your dogs,

Mel x

Hi Val,

I felt I just had to reply to you. You are not being any different from any of us that have been through this.

I had TAC chemo from last November. I was the first person at my hospital to have this combination, so I was a bit concerned. I did experience a couple of set backs, once when I had a very heavy cold. My bcn told me to take plenty of fluids and paracetemol to keep the temp down.

Keep taking your temperature and make sure you have plenty of fluids.

Regarding your dogs I think you are a lovely person for giving these 3 animals a lovely home. It won’t be long before you will have finished chemo and there are times during chemo when you should be feeling OK. You have to be a bit selfish during this journey and by keeping your dogs is helping you that keep them, they also need you.

Our emotions are very near the surface during this journey and this is what this site is all about, let it all out. You could also contact Breast Cancer Care by phone as they have people willing to talk to you on the phone if you feel low.

Take care & best wishes

Jan

For Val Hello Val,

I am sorry to hear you are having such a tough time at the moment, but glad to see that you have had some replies and support from other users of this site.

If you feel you want to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment please feel free to phone the helpline, the calls are free and the number is 0808 800 6000. The staff here are either breast care nurses or trained helpers who all have experience of breast care issues. The lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

Breast Cancer Care also offer a Peer Support service where you are matched up with someone who has experience of similar concerns to yourself, if you are interested in this the staff on the helpline will be able to give you more information. Please do not feel alone, there is always someone here to support you.

Kind regards

BCC Host

Hi i know how you are feeling reguarding your dogs i have two and i sometimes feel really guilty about them not getting the attention they usually get , there two walks a day and me feeling well enough to give them a good brush and a bath when they need it .But i have told myself that i wont feel like this for ever ill get back to being a good “mum” to them, im sure your dogs would rather be with you than anyone else ,even if you arnt always well enough at the moment to take them out and do all the other things you do for them . It does get better you wont always feel this c**p im sure your dogs will wait a few months untill you are feeling better and you will . you are just starting your treatment ive just 2 taxol to go and then radiotherapy but i feel as if im getting somewhere now i can see a light at the end of the tunnel and you will too just take one day at a time , small steps and you will get through this . Theres nothing better than a dogs welcome when you come home , they chear me up no matter how bad i feel i wouldnt ever want to be without them

re dogs Hi

I agree with everyone keep the dogs, they are your little family and will keep you going.

Taking your temp is a good thing, I was told to take mine regularly during treatment and to report any rise however small.

If you do have to go into hospital which I am sure you wont, inform the duty nurse to tell the hospital social worker you have come into hopsital suddenly, and you have dogs at home. Under a certain Act the dogs will have to be looked after. The social worker has a duty to act.

Good Luck

Hi Val

I really agree with all the others, you must not give up your own little family, just in case - you will need them more than you think during the BC journey!

I was admitted twice with NS during chemo - we have 34 working sled dogs, 2 horses, 2 cats, endless poultry & a 14 year old daughter. My hubby works 6 hours away from home and every time I was rushed in as an emergency you can imagine the problems we experienced! Trying to make arrangement for a kennel person at short notice is not easy, I had been in hospital about 8 hours the first time, before my hubby was able to get home. I had to leave my young daughter to come home from school and cope with all these mad & very race fit sled dogs!!!

You must do what is right for you though, but my own thoughts are that I could not have made it trhough without my extended family of animals.

Lynn x

thanks for your support Thanks to everyone for your replies. Jan it was good to hear from someone else who was on TAC. Two weeks after having a Lumpectomy I found two new lumps as big as the first so I am having six doses of chemo followed by a masectomy then Rads. I will not be getting rid of my dogs they are everything to me, I was just having a wobble yesterday. I have just spent a small fortune on 102sq. ms. of astro turf in my back garden to replace the mud patch that was my lawn so they had better get my moneys worth. Does the horrible taste last for all the treatments? I have had bad thrush and mouth ulcers.

val

Dear Linda I have reposted your post called ‘turned down again for DLA’ in order to start a new thread, I hope you don’t mind.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care