12 Weekly Taxol & Herceptin

Hi Malaikah

I had Taxol and Herceptin 2 years ago and found it easier than 3 weekly chemotherapy. The good thing was I only had 1 day a week when I wasn’t feeling good and had a couple of good day EVERY WEEK!. Not sure if you’ve lost your hair but I used the cold cap and it worked. Hope it’s going to be ok for you.

Best wishes, Gemini.

2 Likes

I lost all my hair with FEC :frowning: well just had like a thin film left i kinda left it thought keep me warm…so doesnt work LOL, seriously hair grew back during tax… i am gonna party if it does LOL…

thanks for the remedies for the hot flush, I am going to get some this weekend and keep it, its suprising i kept my periods during fec…but i guess with herceptin n tax maybe its time for them to go…

damn at 34 u never thought u’d worry about menopause now LOL…

good luck everyone, thanks so much now i can stop freaking out at the poor familia…

have a good weekend x

Hi Malaikah,

I’m 32 and I kept my periods during fec. So far, I’m still having it with taxol & herceptin. :smiley:

get ready to party as I also know of another lady whose hair grew back during taxol!!

Take care everyone and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Sylvia

I will be moving on to 12 weeks of Taxol in March. My 4th FEC to come. Glad to hear the side effects weren’t too bad for you. Seems such a long haul.
Helen

Well I had my first of 12 weekly Taxol on thursday and have to say that so far it’s been fine. I felt rough on the afternoon after having chemo - came home from hosp and went straight to bed - but that was due to side effects from the infusion of Piriton given before the chemo, made me feel really dizzy and spaced out. Other than that I’ve been fine, no nausea and just a touch of backache. I was well enough to take the boys to the zoo yesterday and go out for a meal with hubby tonight.

I am getting some hot flushes at night but not finding them too much of a problem as yet, still might invest in that magnet though!

Here’s hoping things continue as well for the next 11 weeks!

i just finised my 7th taxol yesterday compared to fec its not too bad, a bit fatigue, hair is growing back, i guess its gettting a bit tiring and accumulative, the one thing taxol does it makes you a wee bit depressed or emotional, i am wondering if anyone else has experienced, feel a bit spaced out…

anyone has managed to find out more on hot flushes, the chemo nurse seems to feel that antidepressants help but i am not sure i want to down that route there…

Have you tried acupuncture for the sweats? Marvellous!

I have had 2 doses of Taxol with Herceptin and Perjeta.  I had one dose on a Wednesday, the next week on Wednesday, and this week they are not giving me any.  I will be getting it 2 weeks on, and one week off.  When will my hair start to fall out?

I just finished my 12th and final infusion of Taxol/Herceptin last week. I found it to be very tolerable—I didn’t experience any hair loss at all until the tenth infusion, when I started shedding more than normal—this week I would say I am shedding heavily but I predict (hope) I will keep about 80 percent of my hair. My eyebrows have thinned a bit, still have my eyelashes and all body hair. At about week 8 I started to notice a little numbness in my left foot which comes and goes. My blood counts all dipped a little below normal but I’ve been able to work and play tennis and feel pretty good. (I have stage 1b triple postive IDC) Next up: radiation and Tamoxifen! And will continue with Herceptin every three weeks for a year. 

3 Likes

Hi Justlikely…we have very similar diagnoses. I am triple positive stage 1. I hope I go as long as you without Losing. I just finished my 4th round of taxol and herceptin, still hAve my hair. It’s shedding slightly. I also bought a very expensive wig as I was told I would lose my hair by day 15.

I also will be getting herceptin for a year and tamoxifen for 5 years as well.

Hi
May I ask you
Which cooling caps did you use ?
I am preparing for my 12 round chemo
Once a week
Stage 1 negative nodes and clear margin
IDC my diagnosed with ER +PR+ HER2 +
Please send me an email
Thank you

I am

Hello ladies. I have been reading your posts as I am preparing myself for chemo. I feel such a novice, even though I have been on this rollercoaster for over 2 month, had 2 surgeries and numerous leaflets, I am a bit of a head in the sand, can’t take it in person. I have no idea what sort of cancer mine is other than estrogen and her2 positive. There was a bit of a blunder with my chemo app in that a radioligy app was made by error so had to wait for correct app. Trouble is, the more time goes by waiting, I keep thinking, oh my god, what about if it is spreading and growing somewhere else. That is so not me, I am normally the most laidback positive person going. I am rabbling on and am so sorry for that.
Sam

Thank you anniej. I saw that mentioned on a thread and will def join as I think it is going to be very helpful. Hope things are going well for you.

Hi…haven’t posted before but read a lot of the threads over the last few months…just thought I would share my experience as it might answer some of questions people ask. I had breast cancer 12 year ago and had a lumpectomy chemo and radiotherapy…got through that OK and after 12 year thought I had it cracked…had no scares or anything until earlier this year when I got diagnosed again, in the same side, scans showed it wasn’t anywhere else but had to have mastectomy, which was very straightforward and had reconstruction at same time. After this was told I would have herceptin for a year and 12 weekly paclitaxol…which is where I hope I can give some information on some of things I wanted to know at the time. My chemo was stopped after 5 treatments due to neuropathy in my feet (I was more susceptible to neuropathy because I had paclitaxol the last time) but up until then I had very few side effects apart from aches and pains…mostly in my legs, I was able to go back to work just after my first treatment and haven’t needed time off since.

Scalp cooling…this worked for me 12 year ago so I chose to try it this time…it is uncomfortable for the first 10mins but then you really don’t feel it, so if you can it’s worth persevering…all the info said treat your hair gently so I changed my shampoo to a ph balanced one (Herbal Essence detox range) and only washed my hair twice a week, however I still used the hairdryer on low setting and straighteners also on low…I also dyed my hair using the veg based hair dyes available from Holland and Barret…I also used a satin pillowcase. By hair started to shed about 3 weeks in but it wasn’t a massive amount, it continued until about 3 weeks after the last chemo but still no one would notice, and I have quite fine hair to start with. After reading on here…I also bought some keratin hair fibres (only a tenner off amazon) they are great at covering the one small patch where my hair is slightly thinner. 

I used cheap vitamin e cream for my skin, and bio oil morning and night for my scars which has worked wonders. Anyone who doesn’t know me has no idea I have had cancer…I know I have been very lucky, and Not everybody has it as straightforward as this but just wanted to share my experience

2 Likes

Hi JustKelly,
Happy to hear you’ve tolerated the Taxol/Herceptin so well. I had my first weekly treatment yesterday. If you don’t mind me asking: I know you did very well not which, if any, were your hardest days after weekly treatment? I’m trying to make a schedule for other commitments. Also, (don’t answer if too personal), but why are you also having radiation now? Did you have a lumpectomy or mastectomy? Thank you and all my support to you.

I had my first Taxol last Monday with Herceptin. Taxol will be weekly for 12 weeks. By Wednesday midday, I had a headache and some cognitive impairment later that evening, ‘Chemo Brain’ I think they call it. I also got very tearful, depressed and felt very low. By Thursday morning I began to come out of it. I rang the BCN support line and that helped to check if my side effects were normal. By midday Thursday, I began to come out of my depressive state and have felt quite normal today, being Friday. So, hopefully another 2 good days at the weekend and will start the cycle all over again. But I wasn’t expecting to feel so emotional. May be the effects of the Herceptin too but I guess I will be able to compare next week without the Herceptin cycle.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this and I hope you’re feeling better or at least you are aware of what’s coming.

As somebody due to start my chemo, herceptin, radio journey I’m finding reading all these posts really interesting and helpful.

x

Will be my 7th Paclitaxel treatment next Monday. Been having cold cap and so far still got my hair, a bit more shedding but you wouldn’t tell. Worst side effect has been for me, constipation 2 days after treatment resulting in me getting an anal fissure. I got given Movicol which is a stool softener which I take on the eve of treatment and then the following evening. I also have been having the odd headache. Still got taste, eating ok, walking the dog and pottering about most days. Bit of fatigue but it’s not the falling asleep kind, your body just can’t do too much physically. Bearing in mind I used to go to the gym etc, overexertion would make me feel dizzy now. Top tips would be to keep hydrated, eat healthy and rest when you feel a bit rough. You will get to know when your off days are and be reassured that it will pass. Note to self for this week was not to have even a mild chilli on the eve of having chemo. A bit uncomfortable 2 days later with a sore bottom. But you live and learn. X

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I also just started my 12 weekly Taxol & Herceptin. I used the cold cap and it wasn’t too bad!
So far I am feeing okay and don’t wanna jinx it. Just felt super tired when I got home after the chemo but other than that I haven’t had many side effects.

Just curious to know how everyone else is getting on so far? and had got on after their 12 weeks?

:slight_smile: