15 months on from diagnosis

Just wanted to post some positive news.

I was diagnosed with DCIS in Oct 09, I had two ops to get clear margins then rads. I took it easy and didn’t go back to work until Easter last year. Had a check up with my surgeon just before Xmas and all was okay then had first mammogram in January. Was told by the nurse that if they found anything I would be called within 5 days…that was a long 5 days!

Didn’t hear anything so finally plucked up the courage (after an e mail from a dear friend that I have made through these forums telling me to do it) to call my Mac nurse, who then rang me back and gave me the all clear. Letter from surgeon finally arrived 17 days later saying 'no suspiscious signs found and he hoped that would put my mind at ease…er yes just a bit!!

So here I am finally feeling as though my life is going to go on, feeling well and wonderfully calm. But feeling like this has taken months and months. So to all of you still going through your own dark journeys, please take heart that life does get better and that there will be days when you won’t wake up and think about BC.

Try to smile and be positive, think all the time if you can that your glass is half full and not half empty.

Love to all of you in this awful club that we didn’t want to join.
Take care…
x

Thank you Mandeville. Those of us about to get on the treadmill need to hear good stuff from people who’ve managed to get off the other end.

I know that I found it very hard to be cheerful or even feel cheerful when I was ill, but I know that reading other peoples positive feedback did help in a small way as you do see that there is life at the end of the tunnel albeit a long way off!

Little bit of advice …take it easy don’t try and do more than you should, take what ever help is offered to you, don’t worry about the housework the dust will still be there…don’t go back to work until you feel ready to…rest is the best medicine.

Take all the help you can from this forum, I made a wonderful friend on here who has been there for me every step of the way.

xx

Thanks Mandeville and well done on getting through and getting back to something near normal.

thanks mandeville its great to hear positive stories i will be going for my 1st annual mammogram in March and must admit it terrifies me x

I was the same as you, I was more than terrified when I went for my mammogram, but the nurse was lovely and it wasn’t as painful as I expected, although I did take the advice of taking two pain killers about half an hour before and that might have helped as well.

It was the waiting after that which almost worse as I had convinced myself that it was going to be bad news, as I said in the end after I hadn’t heard anything I plucked up the courage to call my Mac nurse, god was I shaking as I made that call, but it was fine and finally I can see through the BC and out the other side.

You have been so brave already fighting Bc, this next bit is a walk in the park compared to that :slight_smile:

x

I have just found this wonderful website and here was me thinking I should be over this by now.

I had a mastectomy March 09 I am going for mamagram in a weeks time i have been feeling low and dreading what they might find although I have been checked regular all last year but still get pain under my other arm pit which was how the doctor discovered the swelling and sent me to the breast clinic.

I thought I should have moved on by now but i am finding it hard to not think the worst, it was nice to see comments which have been going through my mind for monthes that Iam going through th same as all you other ladies in this dreaded club.

I have lots of support from my family but somtimes feel that is all you can talk about and that they must be fed up I have just had a good cry reading some of the comments and are so pleased there are some positive ones.

I feel better already just typing out how I am feeling looking foward to hearing any other experiences.

Hi just read your blog. I had breast cancer 5 years ago and got my All clear in December. I celebrated by sitting in a Lingerie shop window all day, modelling several sets of lingerie and swim wear. I made page 3 of the Gloucester Echo. Am hoping to take up this publicity on my return to UK in April, am now in Australia for the 8th time. Have now finished Tamoxifen and 5 years has flown. In that time I have been to Australia 5 times, every winter, housesat and youth hostelled. Just get out there and live the best life ever… I am setting up an inspirational mentoring club in Cheltenham for women who are over all their treatment and want to take the next step and live life to the max. If you are interested, please get in touch <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%61%6e%6a%69%77%65%73%74%6f%6e%62%72%61%6d%6c%65%79%40%67%6f%6f%67%6c%65%6d%61%69%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%22%3e%61%6e%6a%69%77%65%73%74%6f%6e%62%72%61%6d%6c%65%79%40%67%6f%6f%67%6c%65%6d%61%69%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>. I am 65 years of age!!