18, last year of high school. Risk factor too high?

Halloa!

I had my first fibroadenoma in the left breast at 15. Got it removed then. It was 3.5cm in size and the surgery has left terrible scars back. An year back, I noticed one on the other side and subsequently, quite a few later on. They are movable. Got an ultrasound done, and they found some 5-6 in each breast. All round and smooth, except for one in the right breast. Is it too early an age? Are the chances of breast cancer high? Should I go for treatment? I don’t want to have all those scars again. Won’t the ‘moving mouse-s’ ever go?

Really scared!

Hi Sierra_charlie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your problems with fibroadenoma. I’m afraid I know nothing about it, but if you repost in

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Benign-breast-conditions/bd-p/4430

there are some discussions about fibroadenoma, and some of the others might be able to answer you question.

Regarding the chances of breast cancer, statistics show that in your age group it is a very, very rare occurence. However, it might be wise to get it checked out to be on the safe side. The quote below is from the BCC website:

After gender, age is the most significant risk factor for developing breast cancer – the older the person, the higher the risk. Most breast cancers (around 81 per cent) occur in women over the age of 50. Most men who get breast cancer are over 60.

The table below gives the estimated risk of developing breast cancer according to age, showing how risk goes up as we get older.

Risk up to and including age 29 – 1 in 2,000

Risk up to and including age 39 – 1 in 215

Risk up to and including age 49 – 1 in 50

Risk up to and including age 59 – 1 in 22

Risk up to and including age 69 – 1 in 13

Lifetime risk – 1 in 8"

But there are other benign breast conditions and information can be found about these in one of BCC’s booklets which can be found here:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/benign-breast-conditions

Sending hugs and best wishes

poemsgalore  xx

Hi sierra_charlie, welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the support,you already have here from poemsgalore please feel free to talk your concerns over with our helpliners on 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC