1st Mammogram today

Hi Everyone

I posted on one of the other forums yesterday prior to my seeing the consultant today.

Well, long story short. I went along thinking I had a lump in my right breast. Transpires I have several lumps in my right breast. Consultant was fantastic. Thinks it is unlikely to be BC and more likely to be fibroadenoma, given my age (38), no family history of BC etc.

Had my first mammogram. I really struggled with it, to be honest. Not only did I find it painful but I also felt so de-humanised. The radiographer was lovely, chatting away etc. But I just wanted to tell her to shut up. That’s awful, right?

My husband is being very positive. Thinks I should be too, given that statistics are against me having BC. Part of me agrees and the other is terrified until I get those test results in 10 days time (please don’t let it be longer!).

I have two gorgeous little boys and I am so worried about how any possible illness of mine will impact on them. We have a very traditional marriage - hubby works and I am a housewife - so any disruption to my life automatically impacts on them.

I know I am jumping the gun. Just feeling overwhelmed.

Hi hascas

Whilst you are going through this worrying time if you would like to talk to someone please don’t hesitate to give the Breast Cancer Care helpline a call. Here you can talk things through with one of our trained members of staff who will be able to offer you a ‘listening ear’ as well as support and information if required. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 2pm Saturday.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi hascas,

Totally understand your feeling about the mammogram, I found it very painful as well, it’s pretty brutal isn’t it? so sorry you’re going through this, fingers crossed for your results.

Whatever the outcome, we are all here for you. I have drawn such strength from this forum knowing that I wasn’t alone and also through trying to help others.

I’m the same as you, stay at home Mum with one daughter, believe me children are incredibly adaptable and she has helped me through all my treatment by her totally acceptance of everything, amazing.

Take care

Veggie