30 y old, ongoing breast pain 12 weeks, yellow goo

Hi Ladies,

I’m new here. My name is Jen and I turned 30 this year. I had mastitis a dozen times while pregnant and about 6 times in the 21 months I breastfed. I lost twins in 07 and have been on steroids since as I had a bad autoinflammatory reaction.

I was diagnosed with TRAPS (an autoinflammatory disease) in 09 and get quite bad costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage in my ribs) and reflux. So, I’ve had a lot of pain in my chest in recent years, however this is very different.

About 12 weeks ago I started getting pain in my left breast and thought it was a fibrocystic sort of thing as I had sore boobs in my teens and was told that was what it was. However, the pain has been getting more frequent and angry feeling. It’s all the time, not related to where my cycle is.

In the past few days, it has become insanely painful with a bright yellow goo coming out. I can’t palpate the goo to come out, it just does. It doesn’t smell and I don’t know what my colostrum looked like with my daughter.

I have very big boobs and cannot for the life of me feel ANYTHING but big, fatty boobs.

A friend who’s mum has had autoinflammatory breast cancer told me she would be concerned given my tendency to autoinflammatory conditions. I have no familial history of breast cancer (liver, lung, prostate and skin cancer).

I am seeing a doctor tomorrow morning but the nurse told me she thought it was cysts and will go away. I sort of feel this isn’t going to go away given that I can’t sleep or eat with the pain.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Hiya Mau mama - The main thing is ure going to the doc! Of course u will ne worried and i wont tell u not to as we all do. Its rotten waiting to find out. However most breast concerns are not cancer , it appears scary to you but the pain and the fact that the discharge is not foul sounds positive .There is not often acute pain that i am aware of with BC.If u are referred to the breast clinic it will be to rule it out and not because they think you have it ,

Good luck and i emphasise with you , we all on this site have been where u are so understand ure worries so keep posting and we will keep talking

Thinking of you

Lorna x

Hi Jen,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good support as the users of this site have a wealth of knowledge and experience between them.

As well as your fellow forum users, there is also the BCC helpline you can access. Calls to the helpline are free, lines open Mon - Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2, 0808 800 6000, here you can talk in confidence to one of the team.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

hi jen,

of course you are worried now someone has said your symptoms are like cancer, but just hold onto the fact that there are lots of other reasons for a nipple discharge. infection, benign breast changes and drugs (especially autoimune drugs). Most doctors and websites say pain is not associated with breast cancer, although some ladies on here have said they are wrong. but no one has mentioned the high level of discomfort you are describing

whatever the reason you have done the right thing getting an appointment with your GP. you either need to be sent to a breast clinic to be checked, or to have antibiotics or some other treatment to sort it out.

Try and get some rest today and good luck at the doctors tomorrow.