A-typical ductal hyperplasia

A-typical ductal hyperplasia

A-typical ductal hyperplasia I have posted this on behalf of Michelle23

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi my name is michelle i am 23 yrs old and have just been told i have A-typical ductal hyperplasia which means i am at high risk of breast cancer. At the moment i am waiting for a genetic test as my nan had breast cancer under the age of 40. My consultant has told me it is my choice to have a mastectomy if i don’t carry the gene but it is what they would recommend. I am going to have it done but it is still very hard coping with it. I have 2 kids so i will do anything to stay strong for them and this has been the hardest decision i have ever had to make. I am annoyed at my local hospital for not understanding my situation they think people of my age are to young to get cancer…Thanks for reading and if anyone out there is going through the same as me please get in contact…

Your very brave Hi Michelle,

You are very brave. I am not in your situation as yet but will need to be monitired for a mutated gene.

I have thought long and hard and don’t know what I will do if its suggested - But think I would go for the elective mastectomy too - I don’t have kids but want the chance to have them and be around for them as long as possible.

I admire you and wish you well.

Thank you Thank you very much for your reply, it’s nice to know there are people going through the same as me at a young age.I will keep this updated so people know how i get on. thank you again and don’t hessitate to reply back if you need someone to talk to …

Hi Michelle I Just want to say ( please don’t let my profile frighten you!). I would do exactly what you are doing If I knew then what I know now… I am 35 now, was DX at 32 but there is a strong family link, unfortunatly I got BC first since then other family member who are older than me then got BC after me, mine was advanced at primary which means that they think my breast cancer had been there 7 years + ( i had been going to the DR’s for a long time with pain, but because of my age I was dismissed) If I had any warning or a chance to be one step ahead of this disease, I would have done anything, my little girl means the world to me and I would/will do anything to be here for her. You have to take a step back and think that life is far more important than vanity - its very unfair that you are dealing with this at such a young age. I see you kids mean the world to you too. There is no doubt about it you are making a very brave but wise descision.

Good Luck
Love Amber xxxxxxxxx

Amber d Thank you very much it’s nice to know that there are people out there like me. I see what you mean about the doctors i have been going for two years with lumps and pains and they justed ignored me because i am so young it wasn’t till i had blood that they did my op to remove my milk ducts and found the cells. I do worry that they have missed something because they say i am to young to get cancer Well thank you for your reply and i ain’t the only one who is brave you are to you have already beat it… If you want to contact me again then do its nice to talk to someonin similar circumstances…

Hi Michelle, I am going through the process of sorting out mastectomies as a preventative measure, and it is a really hard thing to face. I wondered if your hospital, via the breast nurse would put you in touch with someone in the same position?

Peer Support Hello All,

I have been following your thread and wondered if Breast Cancer Care’s ‘Peer Support’ may be of interest to you. Here you are matched up with someone who is either going through or has gone through similar circumstances to yourself. Age groups are also taken into consideration when matching people for peer support.

If you think this may help at all please follow the link below. If you have any trouble following the link you can always phone the help line on 0808 800 6000 and they will pass your details to 'Peer Support.

The link to follow is: breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=4438

I hope this is of help to you all.

Kind regards
BCC Host

Hi Michelle Hi Michelle, I just wanted to say good luck. I’m 29 and I’ve just had surgery this week after a biopsy showed Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia, and I’ll get the results on the surgery in two days’ time (hopefully there’s nothing unexpected there). As I don’t have a family history of breast cancer, I imagine that for me it’s just a matter of being aware of my future risk and keeping an eye on things. I can imagine how tough your current situation must be - I hope you find all the support you need to make such a difficult decision.

Larissa

Good luck with your results Thanks for your message and i hope your test results are good news. I do have all the support i need i have a great partner and two lovely kids and a great set of family and friends so thats all the support i need. I wish you the best of luck and don’t be afraid to write back if you need to talk i know whats it’s like to wait for results…