abnormal cells from fna

Hi all, It is good to find this site as you all seem so informed and caring.
I went to my GP last week and explained I found a hard lump in my left breast quite small but there.
This week into breast clinic had a needle biopsy. Then mammogram and u/s. mammo picked up nothing. lady doing u/s said she could see nothing of concern. went back to work (I work in the hospital) and got a call an hour later to go back to clinic for the results of needle biopsy. they said they found abnormal cells and would like to do a tissue biopsy. I opted to get it done there and then under local and the doc took two samples. Problem is dont get the results until next wednesday. obviously like everybody has been I am really worried.
what do abnormal cells mean? is it possible that I could still have good results. Dont know what to think.
Thanks in anticipation for any help and advice.
Sharon

Hi - I’ve posted a comment on my situation as I was very worried when they found a lot of activity in my fine needle biopsy. I had a vacuum assisted biopsy and this came back with the same result which is good because none of the cells had actually gone cancerous. Cells can go through various stages which aren’t normal but not necessary cancerous. It’s horrible waiting, fearing the worse and hoping for the best. Someone on this site suggested being kind to yourself which is good advice, I’m afraid that I am a bit of gym junkie and found exercise really helped or just walking the dogs! Reading all the other post I found very helpful too there is some great advice out there.
I really hope everything is OK for you.
All the very best
K

Hi Sharon,

It could mean anything. It is just horrible waiting to find out - it’s the worst time. Much better when you know exactly what you are dealing with. Hope the time passes quickly and that the results are good.

Stella xx

To answer your question, yes, it is possible that you could still have good results.

Unfortunately you’ve got a horrible wait ahead of you, and the waiting’s dreadful. Once you get your results you’ll have a better idea of what you’re dealing with but until then the monsters keep changing shape, which is very scary.

Best of luck for Wednesday.

A tip: don’t spend the whole week googling, as some sights contain out-of-date or incorrect information and you could find you get yourself into a real state. The Media Centre bit of this site is very good though, so do take a look in there.

Hi shazza51

As well as the support you are receiving from the other forums users if you would like to talk to someone about how you are feeling please do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can share your concerns with a trained member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and information. The lines are open tomorrow from 9 to 2pm and weekdays 9 to 5pm.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Sharon.
Sorry to hear that you’re having a worrying time at the mo, yes the waiting for results is so awful isn’t it? We want answers instantly don’t we?
The good thing is that you are in the pipeline, you haven’t been brushed aside only to find out that months later you are back on the same square, they have looked at your biopsy carefully and called you back because they want to make sure.
If there is anything untoward I am certain that it would be in its early stages as nothing of concern showed up on the u/s, this may mean that they keep a close eye on you in the future or maybe you get some treatment but the earlier anything is detected then the better the outlook. Hope this makes you feel a bit better, Wednesday seems ages away but it will arrive…be kind to yourself…keep in touch
hope you get good news when Wednesday arrives
hugs
Suze xxx

Good luck for Wednesday xx

thanks for all the comments and advice it really is helpful and comforting to receive all your thoughts and views. I like the idea of being nice to myself so may have a walk around the shops!
kate is a vacuum assisted biopsy like a core biopsy? What treatment did you have if any?
Sharon x

Hi Sharon yes it is possible to get good results after finding abnormal cells . A lady on here was messaging me as she was in exactly the same situation and they we’nt sure what it was she was taken to theatreand had the lump removed anyway for furthur more detailed testing and after 3 weeks of waiting hell was finally told just before xmas that it was benign ( phew relief) so although it is torture waiting and it is the worst time there is still a chance of good results just try and keep yourself busy and do nice things to take youre mind off things ( easier said than done i know only too well ) xxx big hugs Julie

Hi Sharon, with a vacuum assisted biopsy as far as I’m aware they take a larger sample than a FNA, I had a lot more bruising after it but I tried to think that at least they were being thorough! The results were back in week. I hope I’ve not given you more to worry about, got everything crossed for you.
Katie

Hi to you all and thanks for your comments over the last week, really did help.
i went for the results of the core biopsy today and was blessed with good news in that they have said it is not serious and have suspected hyperplasia??? They have said it is nothing to worry about but want to remove the mass on 4th Feb. I asked for local anaesthetic if possible and they said that because my breast are very small that they can do this.
has anyone else had this or experienced this.

Thanks again for your time
Sharon

Hi there guys I found a lump and also my nipple has gone inverted I went to the doctors straight away über the two week rule as an urgent refferal have a clear mammogram and a clear scan he went ahead and did a fna in my breast and that came back abnormal so he did a core needle and have to go back next Thursday I am dreading the results x