aches & pains after treatment

aches & pains after treatment

aches & pains after treatment Hi everyone, my lovely sister has completed chemo and radiotherapy after a lumpectomy. She also suffered a heart attack after about 6 lots of CMF. The question relates to aches and pains after treatment. She has a very painful shoulder and extreme tightness where the lymphnodes were removed, Obviously, this causes her great anxiety and though reassured by the breast nurses I know she would appreciate any help from anyone who is going through the same thing. I can only offer her every bit of support that i can but want to say ‘look,it’s ok, these ladies have experienced the same’ thanks mo

Hi MoRose Your sister really has had a tough time of it lately!

I had a lumpectomy, chemo & rads last year and since then have had increasing pain in my shoulder. My consultant sent me to have a bone scan which thankfully came back clear so then referred me to an orthopaedic consultant. I am having an operation next week to try and fix my shoulder which was directly caused by the operations ( I had a lumpectomy & sentinel node biopsy which came back positive so had to have a later operation to remove all my lymph nodes) and then exacerbated by the rads.

I think your sister should get a referral to see someone in orthopaedics to get her shoulder checked out. I know just how debilitating constant pain is - she needs to get it sorted out!

I hope this helps

Ann-Marie

Hello MoRose

I too had lumpectomy and full axillary clearance last September. I had terrible trouble with my arm - acheing, tightness, numbness etc. The first 4 months were the worst when I had daily discomfort from it. It is now 6 months on and I still have tightness and acheing but it is much more manageable now. I’m aware that it will never feel normal again but it doesn’t bother me much anymore. I don’t know about the shoulder trouble. Your sister would need advice on that.

Sophiebubbles

aromasin After 2 lumpectomies, chemo and radiotherapy I am one year down the road. For 3 months I have been on the three different aromatase inhibitors to see which suits me best. They all affect my joints terribly. I ache all over and have great difficulty getting down the stairs every morning. After trying to be cheerful through the last year I am so fed up with these side effects. Does anyone else suffer this way? My doctor wants me to continue on Aromasin as it offers the best sucess rate and Tamixifen can be worse!

aches & pains after treatment Hi MoRose

I’m sending your sister positive vibes from Perth, Western Australia! Did you get them?

I had a mastectomy and axilliary clearance August 2005. I had tightness and discomfort for a couple of months, but it went away very gradually. I had no problems at all during chemo but I finish radiaiton today (no more frying tonight!) and the skin is tight and sore again. I have no doubt this will resolve when the skin repairs in a few weeks.

Funnily enough, I too get shoulder pain, but in the opposite shoulder!!! This started with the radiaiton, as you have to lie with your arms above your head, which is really uncomfortable. But I don’t understand why it only affected the right shoulder. There are so many things we will never understand and not all of them have answers.

I’ve started taking Arimidex and this seems to cause a lot of bone and joint pain in a lot of people. Is your sister taking this or Tamoxifen? I have an ongoing pain from my right hip down to my right knee. No-one can explain this either but it keeps me awake at night.

That said, I am back at work and life is getting back to a more ‘normal’ routine. Not a lab rat any more!

It’s a tough and strange journey, and no two are exactly the same. But I feel a connection with all the women out there in the world who are going through this.

Tell your sister to keep fighting the good fight. She is lucky to have you. Good family and friends are the best medicine.

Amazonwoman x

Fybromyalgia There is research going on now trying to link treatment to Fibromyalgia look up UKFirbomyalgia website and see if you think it may be the cause.

I wish you the best keep going

Love

Wendie

thanks Thanks to everyone that has given me lots of advise to pass on to Gill, thanks for being kind and may I wish you all every good wish for the future, MoRose xxx