Advice Please

I have copied this post for new user Princess23 from the Benign forum.
BCC Host

Hi my name is michelle i have atypical ductal hyperplasia. I am having a bilateral mastectomy ,I am only 23yrs old so as you can image this is very hard. I have my first visit to the plastic surgeon on the 10th of august i am feeling very scared. I have 2 children so i am doing this for them so i can be here when they grow. I would love to speak to anyone who has had a mastectomy and hear their experinces

Hi Michelle

I had a mastectomy (left side only) a year ago (14-07-06) and have to say it was in no way as difficult as I thought it was going to be - physically or emotionally. I was booked in for a lumpectomy but during the 2 week wait, my lump grew rather large and so the day before my op had been scheduled I was told I would need a mastectomy. I was devastated to say the least, my boobs are my only asset! I went into the op crying but strangly came round from the anaesthetic, had a look down at the dressing and it didnt bother me at all. I was concerned about how my hubby would feel but as he came into the hospital every day to bathe me he saw it the very next day and has been very supportive about it all. Couple of days later took the dressings off and I was actually impressed with how neat it was and how well I was healing. I have to say I really didnt expect to feel like this but am obviously relieved that I did. The wound healed very well and is very tidy and Im, in a weird way, very proud of it - all my family have seen it and some close mates too. I did all the exercises I was given religiously so not too lose any mobility, although my stretch is slightly restricted - not sure if thats just me being a bit too wary. I havent had any reconstruction yet but will have in the future.

Good luck for the 10th.

Ju x

hi,
i had a bi lat mastectomy 2 July (nearly 2 weeks ago) i am only 24. so know what you are going through, i can not have reconstruction for at least another year. As Ju said it is not actually as hard as i thought it was going to be. some how you just accept it, the soft inserts they give you are really great and i have found some really good soft bras which look OK. Top shop have some great high neck tops in at the mo, i have several now!!

Like Ju i was really amazed at the small dressing which were on and i have had the stiri strips removed today and the wounds are brilliant, they are really neat and look ok. Its a bit like looking at yourself in the mirror when you were 12. You will cope with it and as you said you have to do it for your loved ones.

If you need to chat please private message me.

good luck and stay strong, you can and will get through this

al xx

hi thanks for your messages it’s nice to know how other people feel. i am planning a recon at the same time as my op. I am still feelin quite scared though but i guess that is normal. Thanks u both…

Hi Michelle,

I had a right mastectomy and total axillary clearance in march, age 34. I was unable to have a recon at the same time as I am having further treatment (chemo now then rads). My recon will hopefully take place sometime next year, yippeeee!!

Anyway, as both ju and al have said, the mastectomy was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined it to be. I really thought I would struggle mentally with the way I looked and expected some serious body image issues post-op but I honestly haven’t had this at all. My boyfriend and I looked up post-mastectomy pics on the internet before my op so we could ‘prepare’ ourselves, what we saw sort of scared me to be honest but now I can’t understand why. Once I came round from the op, I was so relieved to have the tumour removed that I thought losing a boob was a small price to pay. I was a little upset to start with but this was v.short lived thankfully.

Along with body image, I was concerned about pain post-op, particularly as I’m a bit of a baby!!! I really needn’t have worried though as I soon found that good old paracetamol was keeping the pain at bay during the day.

I wish you well for the 10th and for your op. Take care and you know where we are if you need to shout/scream/cry…

Kelly
-x-

I had a mastectomy with immediate recon 3 months ago dx, age 27, i did have initially a lumpectomy but there was not safe margins so had to go back in. Its actually ok , with a bra on no one would no the difference. People have seen it and are amazed at the result. They gave me a morphine drip for the first day and then i only asked for it at night to send me asleep. I was out by day 5 ( they said to expect a 10 day stay) and the drains came out easily a few days later. I was able to sleep on my back ok as that was what i was most concerned with - being able to sleep. I found sleeping on my side harder (even the normal side) for some unknown reason.
It still feels a little strange but every day it gets better

I hope everything goes well on the 10th , take care

Hannah x

hi hannah ,
Thanks for your kind words, just wondering how did they do your recon as i am having a tram flap recon which sounds quite painful…x…

Hi all,

Just to let you all know it went quite well at the hopsital yesterday, I have to go back in october after i have made all the desicions and the recon that i will be put on the list and it should then be done within 4 months. I would love to hear from anyone who had had a tram flap recon and i still feeling a bit uneasy about it all…

Michelle
.x.x.x.x.x.

hello
I have a family history and have yearly check ups. I have just had my first mamogram and next month will be having a ct scan. My consultant has offered me a mastectomy and i need someone to talk to.I am at high risk between 50-80%. There are no living females left in my family.Have been on a program for the last 8 years and now is the time to make decisions.

Sharon aged 39

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your situation, I am sure you are having a whole lot of thoughts go through your head i know i did. All you can do is decide what is best for you and your circumstances if you want to talk private message me and just wtire on here. Good luck i am sure you will find the strength you need to make a decision.
Michelle
.x.x.x.x.x

Thankyou for your message.I am really bad at this computer stuff.Have MRI on Monday so keen to get that over with. Does anyone think that all this hospital stuff puts your life on hold? I feel like i want to scream "CAN I HAVE MY LIFE BACK. MY KIDS NEED ME "

sharon (well p*****d off)

Hi Sharon

Good luck with your MRI on Monday, hope that when you get the results they are good. Will keep fingers crossed for you. Yeah the hospital appointments are a drag, and I do feel sometimes that my life is on hold at times, but nothing I can do about it. Although try hard as have two kids under 4 so need to be there for them as much as I can. Only appts have really now are chemo ones so more under control, but got the onc in 10 days time too.

Hope you start to feel better later in the day, it is hard getting through all this c**p, but you can do it, and we will all help you too.

Take care
Love
Dawn
x

Thank you so much for all your support.8 years ago i thought i was on my own and now thanks to you all i can finally get the information and support i need.I hope that some day i can give something back.Good luck with your treatment next week there are alot of us out here that are thinking of you also.Keep us posted on the great cyber highway.

Sharon

Hi All…
Hi everyone i am starting to get a little nervous i have my last visit to the plastic surgeon on fri before the op…I know i should’nt be really but it feels like i am at the last mile stone before sugery and that’s the scary thing… And of course the pain after the op.I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on underwear and clothes to wear after the op coz i am clueless… Well i will let you all know how it goes.
Take care
Michelle
.x.x.x.x.x.x.

hi everyone…
Finally i have had some good news, I no longer need the surgery the silly hospital had got it wrong my cells they found was not as bad as first thought. luckily the hospital i was due to have surgery at re-tested my milk ducts. I have to have a meeting with my doctor it dicuss who messed up so now i just have to be breast aware but a think i am already that. I would like to say thank you to all the people who have given me advice and support…xxxx…