Advice would be appreciated

Hi, another newbie to the site, I could really do with some advice. I went to the GP a week ago with a lump which I discovered about a week previously. I have never examined myself as I know you should and only noticed it because it started to hurt. The GP put me on a 2 week urgent referral and I have an appt next week. I dont think the lump feels so bad now but when I raise my arm my breast looks flat and the nipple goes in. Has anyone else had the same thing and am I worrying too much? I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Hi

i’m afraid i can’t offer you the words you really want to hear, which is: “Oh i had that and it was nothing!” because obviously i don’t know and neither does your GP.

But what i can say is that most lumps and bumps turn out to be nothing. You should be pleased that you acted as soon as you did and that it’s being taken seriously and investigated.

Waiting to have tests and then the results is a really awful time because we tend to brace ourselves for the worst possible news - even if there is no real reason to think this.

Try to stay busy to keep your mind occupied - you will get through this.

x

Ditto what SCACO said. All breast lumps should be checked in about 2 weeks, so don’t read more into that than you need to.

There’s no point in saying don’t worry, because of course you will. Try to keep your mind occupied with other things as much as possible.

Good luck.

Cheryl

Hello there, as SCACO and Cheryl have said, its just the hardest time waiting, and you may need to be good to yourself while you wait and distract yourself however feels good for you. REALLY most lumps are nothing, but sometimes they are something and if it is you are in there good and early. Until you have the definitive tests no ammount of stories can reassure you I am sure, but we can reassure you that it may be fine and if it isn’t there is masses of treatment and masses of support.
bw to you, fingers crossed, Nicola

Hi Islandlady

As well as the support you are receiving from the other users on this site if you would like to talk things through or just have some additional support during this difficult time please do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support.
The lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Thanks so much for all your kind comments. I think my mind changes on an hour by hour basis about how everything looks and feels. One minute I think it doesn’t look so bad and I’m worrying about nothing, the next I think the opposite. Only 5 days to go, I wll let you know how I get on. Once again, many thanks for your good wishes x