Alcohol pre ER+ BC?

Hi there,

It’s interesting isn’t it when we compare to our mother’s experience. My mother has always had amazing health - as did my Grandmother - and neither had BC. My mother took HRT for decades too. The difference being I think is that my mother was never overweight, (she was always slim and dieting), and she didn’t drink or smoke. She also had her children in her early 20’s which I believe is a thing.

My situation is that I have always carried extra weight since my late 20’s. As a Gen X I drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney in the 80’s and even though I gave up smoking 25 years ago, I still enjoyed a lot of wine! Also, all 3 of my children were born in my 30’s, my last at almost 40.

Moving forward and I was diagnosed with DCIS and IDC in my right breast at 55. I didn’t have a lump but calcifications were found on a screening mammogram.

I don’t think we should blame ourselves for the life we’ve led, but I do think we should consider why there is so much BC now, especially in younger women. There do seem to be patterns emerging, and we live differently to our mothers. Alcohol is known to be a high risk for many cancers. My GP showed me some stats when I was diagnosed and it seems that being overweight is a very high risk factor, especially for BC too. Look at our mother’s generation, they were never overweight. That at least is something we can do something about, but it’s hard and I’m struggling with it if I’m honest and it’s even harder when you’re on Letrozole.

Xx

1 Like

Hi, I feel I have several risk factors for breast cancer but the only one I have control over is alcohol and that’s why I’ve stopped. I have 2 paternal cousins who developed breast cancer and my father died at 35 from cancer. I was a midwife for 35 years so I worked nights and did regular on call for years and I also put my body through wearing PPE in an already tropical maternity unit during COVID. I had a late menopause at almost 57 and I have dense breasts. I am not overweight and have always been physically active.
What I drank in the past happened and I’m not stressing about it but I do believe it was a contributing factor, but who can say they have led a perfectly healthy life!

I used to drink a bottle of wine on weekends and 1-2 glasses of spirits. I stopped around January when I found out I was pregnant. I was diagnosed with cancer in March when I was 41. had my first child when I was 38. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to breastfeed. No family history of breast cancer.