Almost time for scan

Almost time for scan

Almost time for scan I have started a new thread on behalf of PenelopeP with this post.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

Hi all,

I am 26 years old and a mum to a 2 year old daughter. I married in june 2006. I Found a lump in summer 2006 just after my wedding which was scanned and diagnosed as a fibroadenoma. Found a second lump which is bigger and more irregular. Like a knobbly bobbly. lol. Also have some slight swelling to armpit. Gp reffered me back to breast clinic who have asked me to return for another scan. Dr at the time said he could not feel the lump? but my GP felt it straight away as did a friend? Anyway the scan is on tuesday 5/6/07 and I am naturally quite scared. I am optimistic though as I know most cases are benign as was mine the first time around. Anyway I just thought I would introduce myself and will be monitoring the posts closely and keeping in touch with everyones stories and progress. Good luck to all in your own battles. I will keep you posted on my own results.

Jo

Hi Jo Hi Jo

Sorry you’re having a rough time too but you seem to be handling it really well- I must try to be like you instead of thinking the worst!
I am finding it hard to think about anything else but then you have your hands full with your daughter! I hope she is keeping your spirits up! I don’t have children but my little dog seems to know that I’m not right- he is being very clingy and making a fuss all the time!
This weekend I will have friends over and apparently the weather will pick up so perhaps we can both try and do lovely things and not think about it the whole time (just some of the time!). But I am sure I will be looking at the forums- the women here are so lovely and supportive and although I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, it’s good to know we aren’t alone.
Have a good day- it’s Friday (yippeeeee!)
Livi
x

Thanks Livi Hi Livi,

Thanks for your reply.
Its good to know you are not alone when it comes to something like this. Believe me though Im not as calm as it appears. Inside my head is screaming “you might have breast cancer” but then another part keeps taking over and saying “but you might not” Something definitely not right tho. the entire left side of my left breast feels “wrong” all lumpy and irregular. I have also been advised by my Dr who did my last check up that I have a breast condition that causes inflammation of the chest/breast wall (sorry cant remember the medical name) and this is where my pain is coming from and is nothing to do with the lump which actually made me feel worse as I had been telling myself that it wont be cancer as cancer is not usually painful but then when he said just coincidence that the 2 had appeared together the worry started again. I like most I have read cannot stop feeling it to see if it has changed. Im just glad that come tuesday I should know a little more. If Dr puts it down to another fibroadenoma and does not offer biopsy I think I may ask them to do one as this will put my mind at rest completely then. Oh well at least Ive only got a couple of days to wait until I get my scan. 3 days and counting. Its playing havoc with my sleep. LOL. Hope all goes well with you Livi

Keep in touch

XX

Jo

Thanks Jo- you must make sure you let me know how you get on, and remember to use this to let off steam if you’re getting worked up. If you’re having problems sleeping are you able to get up? Sometimes lying in bed in the dark is the worst thing. Something mindless like a computer game might help- not a shoot em up neccessarily… but something wher eyou get involved and distracted. There are free ones on the internet- Alex soft is a good site that you don’t have to download (go to the free games bit).
Also, have you tried Kalms? They’re really relaxing herbal tablets. Plus maybe a drop of lavender oil on your pillow. I imagine with a 2 year old you don’t spoil yourself as much as you should as you probably focus on your daughter.
As for me, sleep is okay coming but fitful with really weird dreams. Fingers crossed for my appt coming soon…

Take care

Livi

xx

Update I have been to the app for the scan and was advised by the doc doing the scan that it just looks like a colection of benign tumours within the breast tissue itself and the lumpiness i felt in my armpit is just breast tissue that goes up higher than on the other side? Doc was pretty brusque with me and she seemed quite annoyed when I asked a few questions. She seemed pretty convinced itwas nothing to worry about so I asked her are you sure then that its not cancer and she said NO not 100% sure just the same as could not be 100% sure you wont leave here and not be hit by a bus? I asked about taking it outand she said not possible without removing breast tissue as the lumps are all within the tissue itself. No biopsy offered and left feeling very upset and not at all reassured. Ihave been booked an appointment for this coming wednesday which is the one stop clinic. Last time when they were sure it was fibroadenoma they just sent me home and that was the end of it so why now if they are pretty sure its nothing are they telling me to come back to discuss the results with a consultant? Are they just doing this because I was asking questions? please if someone could give me some ides on what I have said would be much appreciated. Something in the back of my brain is just telling me something is wrong. I always try to listen to my instincts but maybe on this occasion they have gone into overdrive.

HELP

Jo

extra breast tissue Breasts are not symmetrical and it is not unusual to have ‘extra tissue’ on one side or to have an axillary tail of tissue going right up into the armpit. The pill also affects the tissue density and can cause lumpiness. As to why you have to go back to the clinic I would hope it would be to give you a chance to discuss your concerns with the doctor. If the clinic referred you for the ultrasound they are normally the ones to give the final diagnosis/results and to decide if any further action is required.
As for instincts I’ve given up on mine as i was convinced that I just had another cyst
Hope this helps to reassure you.
Jakey

For Jo Hi Jo

I am sorry to hear you are having such a troubled time at the moment. Maybe it would help to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling. You can contact the BCC freephone help line where you are able to disucss your worries with somebody who is either a breast care nurse or has experience of breast care issues.

The number to ring is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
BCC Host

Hi Jo

My sister had a similar experience to you. Went to the breast clinic and was completely brushed off when it turned out to be just a cyst. She said it was almost as if the doctor was disappointed it wasn’t cancer.

By contrast when I was diagnosed with breast cancer about a year later they were all literally fawning over me, stroking my arms, handing me tissues, reasuring me everything was going to be ok. It was at bit OTT to say the least.

I admit that in my job as a money/benefits adviser I get more pleasure in resolving the really ‘meaty’ cases; I think a degree of this is natural. But I would never, ever show this to client and would not dream of saying something to them that made them think their fears or worries were irrational. Your doctor’s attitude is completely unprofessional.

I think you have a right to know why this doctor feels ‘pretty sure’ this is just a collection of benign cysts. Pretty sure isn’t good enough. You need absolutes and a biopsy of the tumours is the only way to give you that. I can’t believe the bitch thinks ‘not 100%’ is good enough. Even if she is 99% sure it’s nothing you could be the 1% for whom it is something and you could leave it unattended with disasterous results. You deserve 100% reassurance. Anything short of that is clinical negligence. I’m sure that’s why the consultant wants to see you.

One thing I’ve learned from my breast cancer experience is that you sometimes have to take the reigns. I always went to my appointments with a list of questions and I found my team were happy to answer them, even if they seemed a bit daft.

When you see your consultant ask if he can give you an absolute guarantee that this collection of tumours is benign. If he can’t, request a biopsy. Hopefully he will not be as rude as your other doctor and will recommend one anyway if there is even the slightest bit of doubt.

Good luck. I’m rooting for you. Please let me know how you get on.

Lola x

Thanks Ladies Thanks Lola for your upfront to the point view. I agree totally with you and have determined with myself that I will not leave that hospital unless I am sure in myself that I can stop worrying about this.
Thanks to others also for their kind words. You ladies are amazing. You are all fighting your own demons yet still take time out to answer people like me who may be worrying over nothing.

Thanks all once again

You are Stars

Jo