am i being daft?

Hi all. I posted a couple of weeks back as found a lump, referred to clinic, had ultrasound, all ok, see you later type thing, which is fantastic. . . .
So why am i not convinced!?
My lump hasn’t changed, but my boob aches slightly and where the wire on my bra is, it is bit sore by the end of the day.
The sensible me says it is from the constant prodding the area over the last few weeks, but there is a part of me that is concerned that because i didn’t have any biopsy or anything, there could be something that the ultrasound didn’t pick up.
My appointment was quite quick, the nurse examined me, she couldn’t feel my lump, so i showed her and she crossed it with the pen, then i had my ultra sound which lasted about 2 minutes. I looked at the screen, and as far as i know, they didn’t find any lump or anything, as there was no discussion or measuring etc, but the lady didn’t talk or say anything to me and to be honest i was so upset about the whole thing i didn’t ask.
I then went back to the first lady who just said it was glandular tissue, and i practically ran out of The door with relief!
Its not until i got home i realised the cross on my boob wasn’t really where my lump is, and to be honest i expected a needle biopsy or something.
I am 29 with no known history, so not sure if this would of made any difference.
Sorry to moan once again, don’t get me wrong, i am thrilled, but keep hearing of people being nip diagnosed, and just worrying i haven’t be checked thoroughly enough.
Please tell me to shut up and stop worrying over nothing, i appreciate you all have much more to worry about x x Thankyou once again x

Hello Mrs Sparkle,

I’m really sorry that you’re still worried and that you feel like your lump hasn’t been properly investigated. Could you maybe wait and see what happens over the next month or so and if the lump is the same, go back to your GP with your concerns and ask for another referral? If you notice any change before that, head straight back.

I don’t want to panic you, but ultrasound didn’t pick up my tumour and my lump wasn’t biopsied when I was 30. I waited a year before I went back. At that point, they did a biopsy which confirmed I had cancer, even though they thought it was just a cyst from what they saw on the ultrasound. A mammo showed an 8 cm tumour which just wasn’t there on the u/s. My case was rare, but as you say, it can happen and biopsy is really the only way to be sure.

I really hope that they are right and the lump is benign, as it is in the vast majority of cases. Feel free to PM me if I can help. Take care, Angelfalls xx

Thankyou so much for your reply Angelfalls.
That is exactly what i am afraid of!
It hard to know how to feel because technically i have been given the all clear, and i know there are lots of women who need the appointment spaces etc more, so there is a part of me that just wants to forget it and be grateful, but i just keep thinking ‘what if’
I am not very good at speaking up, hence why i just ran out without asking anything on my original appointment.
I don’t know how to go about saying anything to the doctors without them thinking Im wasting time.
Everyone keeps saying ‘oh they won’t of got it wrong because they can get into trouble’ but i guess these things can and do happen.
How did you go about getting another referral?
How are you doing now?x x

insist on a biopsie, it’s your health and life. I think people are wrong in saying they won’t get it wrong as it would cause trouble. They do get it wrong and it doesn’t bring them into trouble at all.

All the best xx

Thankyou. I know you are right. Im not sure if i have to go back to the doctors or if i can ring the clinic or something, i feel so stupid as everyone who has felt me initially has trouble feeling the lump, but i can feel it straight the way, and its defiantly still there!
I don’t know if the doctor can refuse to re refer me if she things its nothing to worry about x x

Before you go, get a piece of paper or a notebook and write down all the questions you want to ask. Keep looking at the paper, or even hand it over so they can read it. If there are questions you need the answers to, that might make it easier for you to ask them.

Good luck.

CM
x

I went back to my GP who referred me to the breast clinic again, but that was a year after my initial referral. With the benefit of hindsight, I definitely should have gone back much sooner, but I felt like you that I’d had the all clear from the experts and that was that. It was only the fact that my partner was nagging me to go back and I just wanted to shut him up which got me to make the appointment. Thank God I did! This was 9 years ago now. xx

My husband keeps saying if your not happy, just go back, as though its that easy. I have rang the clinic today and explained my worry about the cross not being accurate to my lump, and she just said she would of covered the whole area. I asked about not having biopsy and she said as she didn’t have my notes to hand she couldn’t discuss my appointment further.
Guess if i want to pursue, its back to the gp.
I hate going doctors, i know in the bigger picture that seems pathetic, but i just fine then so patronizing. Thankyou once again for your comments :slight_smile:
And i sincerely hope you are doing ok with your treatment angelfalls(and everyone else)x

Hi, I think you should request a MRI scan. This is the only way for them to be 100% sure there is nothing there in younger, denser breast tissue. The problem they have without doing a MRI is that they can’t do a biopsy if they can’t see a lump. I really hope you can get this resolved quickly and that it is good news.

Kate xx

Thankyou. I am going to ring the doctors and make a appointment to see the gp, and see if they can shed some light on my official name for my lump etc, then i am going to ask if it would be possible to take the lump out as its doing my head in it being in.
Thanks for your comments, would be alot easier to just accept what they have said and get on x

Oh bless you Mrs Sparkle…I thought you were fine…but I totally agree that if your gut instinct is not happy then go and be double checked. Hugsxxx

I wish and pray Mrs sparkle that you got some good doctor or have one another apointment so that what ever you are feeling will come and detected by machine and soon you will get good news that you have nothing …

It’s a horrible feeling, isn’t it?

I have had a second lump, which wasn’t biopsied, just sent away with a “see you in six months” Radiologist has written “Fat necrosis, with unusual edges”

yes it is so hard to trust their opinion isn’t it.
i have been told that based on ultrasound they put you into 5 categories. defiantly not cancer, possibly cancer, undecided, probably cancer, defiantly cancer.
not sure how true this is.
would of preferred a biopsy :frowning:

I think we have to trust them that they know what they are doing, otherwise we would go mad…

I am keeping an eye on things, my doctor will send me straight back if this lump doesn’t go away or my body doesn’t absorb it… I would have preferred concrete testing, alas that wasn’t to be. If I look at it logically, hopefully the testing will go on and save another person’s life.

I know what it feels like to leave your trust with your health in another’s hands and just hope they are right.