Another newbie here!

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with BC just over 3 weeks ago. I had WLE and full ANC last week. Still got the flippin’ drain in but that can hopefully come out tomorrow. I have to wait now until the 13th to find out whether the surgery produced a ‘clear margin’ - think that’s right? If not it’s back for a mastectomy. If all is ok then I will start chemo and have been told 6 rounds followed by rads. Complete shock as I saw a doc in November who told me my ‘lump’ was nothing to worry about and was just due to age (I’m 50) thankfully I was concerned enough to go back to my own gp in Feb who sent me for immediate tests. I’m told it’s the most common kind and grade 2 so nowhere near as bad as some I guess. I have a feeling I will be coming here quite a bit as it’s so helpful to read the posts of others in similar situations. I am quite scred - funnily enough, not about the prognosis but about what the next few months holds fir me. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Sorry you have to find yourself here, but it’s good to get help and support from others. What a good thing you went back to your GP. Seems too many docs dismiss things as ‘age’.
Hope your clear margins will be clear to save you from further surgery.
I’ve just finished chemo and star rads soon. I found it really helpful to journey along with others starting chemo at a similar time. you can compare notes and support each other, so suggest you start or join a thread when the time is right.

Good luck. Stella

hi

I’m sorry you find yourself here but you are right to come on here - it’s a place to share as well as off-load.

I too had the experience of the GP not finding anything only to be diagnosed 4 weeks later.

I’m due my 5th chem tomorrow (out of 6) and then have surgery and rads to look forward to.

When you are first facing chemo it is terrifying and, although not a walk in the park, it’s not been as bad as expected.

You are in the worst part ‘The Waiting Room’, where the ‘not knowing what’s coming’ fills you with anxiety. Once you know it will get better.

Take care. x

Kozzie, it’s a bugger, as my doc said. This site has been a big help to me and I hope it will be to you. I’ve had my WLE 3 weeks ago, and chemo then rads after Easter. Just come in from gardening and managed ok. It can seem strange carrying on as normal, and it made me realise how precious normal is, but nothing feels normal anymore. Having a laugh helps a lot and you’ll find lots of that here too.

Jane

Thank you all for your kind comments! So nice to know that I’m not alone in this surreal journey - you’re right about the waiting…if only I could fast forward to the 13th and know what the score is. Also glad to hear that chemo can turn out to be not quite as tough as my imagination is making it!

The thing which is surprising me most at the moment is how exhausted I am after minimal effort - I am guessing that’s the effects of the surgery and the anaesthetic but it’s a bit if a shock to find out I’m not invincible after all :slight_smile:
Really hoping to go back to work on Tuesday but I am thinking reduced hours might be a good idea for the first few days.

I wish you all well in your own battles and know that the more of us there are on the team - the stronger we become!

Xx

Dear Kozzie

So sorry that you have had to join this club of ours but the very warmest of welcomes to you.

Like you I had a WLE/SLNB on 29 March and return for the results on 13 April…seems to be a popular day lets hope that we are all blessed with clear margins. As said already by staycalmandcarryon the “waiting room” is simply the worst place and having visited it already waiting for the results from tests before surgery its just the most horrid place to find yourself once again but sadly part of this c****y process. Take comfort in knowing you are not alone sweetheart.

I have been told that if clear margins are achieved and surgery is complete I will have 5 months of chemo followed by 3 weeks of rads so the journey ahead is set to be a bumpy one but again I try to tell myself it is all part of the process to a long and happy life. I am scared and anxious but know that so many other people on here are with you that it just helps to ease some of the stress. If I need to rant I come here because nobody holds it against you or tries to tell you “you will be fine”! (sorry that line is my complete pet hate!!!).

Like you have said, the more of us on the team, the stronger we become, so here’s another member to help keep the strength.

Lots of love
Tracy xxx

Hi Miniminx

Thank you so much for your comments and for sharing your own story - seems like we had our ops on exactly the same day and I will be thinking of you too on the 13th. I must admit that I am guilty of telling people around me that I will be fine - but I do that for their benefit as opposed to mine!

What a roller coaster we are all on - I look forward to sharing the journey with you :slight_smile:

Xx

Wotcha.

Your treatment plan will be prepared specifically for you and your needs, so depending on what they’ve found, you will get what you need. Some people are offered chemo for grade 2 tumours and that seems to depend on the size, others are advised that the SEs of chemo far outweigh the benefits and that chemo would not add much to their survival rates. Similarly, if your tumour is responsive to Oestrogen (often referred to as Er+) or Progesterone (Pr+) then you may be prescribed Tamoxifen or an aromatase inhibitor, and if it is receptive to another growth hormone called HER2, then you may be prescribed Herceptin. Radiotherapy is also sometimes offered depending on what surgery you’ve had and where the tumour was.

But all of that will start to become clear when you get your results, and the treatment plan will be based around what YOU need.

Best of luck, and look at the Publications bit of this site, particularly the “Newly diagnosed” bit. Avoid googling indiscriminately but stick to reputable sites, such as this one, Macmillan, Breakthrough, and a few others that you’ll find links to. And the Helpline (number at the top of the page) has been completely brilliant, so give them a ring if you want to speak to a human voice rather than just typing.

Good luck, and keep posting if you need to offload, ask questions, or just join in with some of the silliness that happens on here - a lot of us have found great relief in humour. Yes, cancer patients can laugh too!

CM
x

Thanks chocciemuffin -wow-such a lot to take in! It sounds like you know much about these things and it’s great to hear that treatment is individual and not just a ‘one size fits all’ All I was told at the clinic is that they will ’ throw everything at this’ hence them saying I will have chemo and rads but I guess that will be up to the oncologist once the full results are in.

I have actually had a real laugh over the last few days since getting out of hospital - just silly stuff but it’s so nice to be able to joke with close family and friends and I’m going to do my best to keep that sense of humour and perspective but it is also good to know I can come on here to get stuff off my (slightly wonky now) chest!

Thanks also for the advice on where to look - my BC nurse also warned me about googling madly so I genuinely haven’t done so. I like this site :slight_smile:

Xx