Antidepressants when on abemaciclib and fulvestrant injections

Can I ask if anyone has experience of taking antidepressants with this treatment? 
 I have been told by my nurse to start some after weaning off citalopram in January after my sbc diagnosis as I understand that citalopram interacts with the cancer treatment. 
But I’m struggling at the moment with depression and terrified that any medication may reduce the efficacy of the treatment I am taking now. 

My recent petscan has shown bone mets are stable and the slight rise in my myeloma markers are stable also, so my oncologist is happy that the treatment seems to be working and I don’t want to detract from that, but mentally I am struggling with slight panic attacks occurring again ( was feeling almost suicidal in the pandemic with my panic attacks and anxiety around covid!).

id be so grateful for any evidence that patients on antidepressants ( I’m thinking sertraline?) has continued to have efficacy  if on these types of treatments ( targeted therapy’s). 

I have an appointment with my gp tomorrow ( made by my bcnurse ) for those reason along with pain meds as I also suffer severe fibromyalgia.

Thank you 

Claire 

Hello Claire

Thank you for posting. It sounds like you are having a difficult time. We often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks 0808 800 6000

You ask whether antidepressants interact with abemaciclib or fulvestrant. Specific antidepressants are not listed as contradictions in the patient informationleaflets for either abemaciclib or fulvestrant however it is always important to discuss any medication that you are taking with your doctor or pharmacist, which you can do with your GP tomorrow.

Being told you have secondary breast cancer can be completely overwhelming. It can be hard to know what to think, where to turn to for support, and even harder to find anyone who really understands what it feels like to live with the diagnosis.

We provide a number of different services for people living with secondary breast cancer aimed at providing both information and support.

Our helpline team are here for anyone diagnosed with secondary breast cancer. As mentioned, we have time to listen to your concerns. At times like this, some people find it helpful to talk with others who are going through a similar experience. We have a secondary breast cancer online discussion forum including a private chat group for sharing information and support. There is also a weekly Live chat session which runs on Tuesdays at 8.30-9.30pm.

We also provide a number of different services for people living with secondary breast cancer aimed at providing both information and support through our Living with Secondary Breast Cancer Online programme and virtual meetings. Our face to face Living with Secondary Breast Cancer monthly meet up groups also give you the chance to meet and share experiences with other people who understand what you’re going through because they’re going through it too.

Perhaps there were some strategies or support that helped during the pandemic that you can access now.

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Katy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.