Anxious about having Chemo :(

I had a masectomy 2 weeks ago and went for my results today and have been told that my 2 tumours were 7cm and 1cm, 3cm apart. Negative lymph nodes out of the 5 that were removed. I’ve been recommended Chemotherapy for 6-8months.
I’m 38, married and have no children although children has always been on the cards. I will be having ivf before my Chemo starts. I’m getting anxious now about the impact of Chemo on my body.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Cuba

Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their knowledge and experiences you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and

Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Cuba,

Firstly sorry that you’ve had to join us on here, but we’re a friendly bunch and someone is always around to help. Good news that your lymph nodes were clear.

Worrying about chemo is completely normal, I am 42 and had a mastectomy mid December and I didn’t worry about the surgery anywhere near as much as the terrifying thought of chemo.

I have had two cycles now. My first was FEC but then due to some extreme side effects - low bp, fast heart rate, my second cycle was delayed a week and my regime has been changed to EC which I had on Monday.

The list of potential side effects is huge but everyone responds differently and although I was pretty unwell after chemo 1 I didn’t actually have many of the side effects. So far I’m doing better after cycle 2, tired but not totally exhausted, my bp is ok too.

My tips would be to drink at least 2l of water/squash daily for the first 3-4 days, keep a diary of how you feel, side effects, when you feel nauseous, temp, bowel movements (the meds can cause constipation or diarrhoea) etc and then for subsequent cycles you can anticipate how things might be.

Everyone reacts differently, but I’m fairly sure everyone is scared by the thought of chemo, you are not alone.

Hope I helped in a small way.

Take care, Carmen xx

Hi Carmen,

Thank you very much for your advice and sharing your experience with me. It certainly has put me more at ease. You’re right -everyone responds differently and you’ve helped in a big way -I’m sorry that you’re having to go through this too.
I feel the same about the masectomy - I wasn’t worried about that as much as I’m anxious about the chemo …I guess as I don’t have children and will also be having ivf before my chemo is another concern…
But with all this support and your kind words -we will get through this fighting …
Thank you xxx