Any advice on complications from chemo?

My mum had been diagnosed with breast cancer - she had surgery and was through 4 out of 6 chemo sessions and on the way to being clear when she has had sudden complications from the chemo and emergency surgery on her stomach which will now take months to recover from.

Can anyone advise what happens now? She was only having the chemo as a precaution - does she have to finish the course (final 2 sessions)? She changed chemo drugs on the 4th session and that’s what’s damaged her stomach - surely they can’t give her those chemo drugs again now?!

Would appreciate any advice from anyone who has experienced this, or who knows anything about it.

Thanks.

Hi Kitty31

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, I’m sure you’ll get lots of support from the many informed users of this site who have a wealth of experience between them.

Could I suggest that you give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with one of the staff, they’re here to support you and your mum through this. Unfortunately the helpline is closed today with it being Bank Holiday but is open again at 9am tomorrow until 5pm. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Hope your mum is feeling a little better. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

I am sorry to hear about your mum - I hope she feels better soon.

I had a lousy time with chemo and after 3 doses of FEC the onc put me onto Taxotere - but that nearly killed me off. Literally.
After that Tax dose we reassessed. We looked at the pathology of my cancer and the risk of recurrence. As I am 100% ER+ it was felt that I had more protection from hormone therapy than chemo anyway. So we left it at the 4 doses. I could have carried on and had the other 2 but it was entirely my call - and I was so desperately ill on chemo that I figured I might be doing more harm than good. (Because of other health factors I am at increased risk of leukaemia.)

I suppose your decision really depends what stage your Mum was diagnosed at, if she has lymph involvement, or is ER+, or HER2+ - all of the important prognostic indicators.

The best question you can ask your onc is - what would you advise your daughter/wife/mum to do?

Best of luck.