Any advice or tips!!

Hi, Im 35 years old and got diagnosed in june 2008 with a grade 3 breast tumour measuring 8 cms. After havin chemo to try and shrink the tumour it was unsucessful so in dec 08 i had a mast…with an view to have reconstruction in 1 to 2 years, i was gutted but at the same time happy to be rid of the cancer. to cut a long story short i have just had reconstruction of my breast by havin a diep operation im pleased with the results.My problems is up to now i have been really strong and battled through my chemo and treatment, it wasnt going to get me down, besides im a single parent to a toddler and no way was i going to leave her but lately i have felt so so miserable and low cant stop the tears i just feel awful. I know i am lucky to have beat it, been told its all clear and my future looks very good, but i just cant shake this depressed feeling!! Has anybody got any tips or advice not sure where else to turn???

Hi Gracie,

Sorry to hear you’re feeling like this. Do give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with one of the nurses, they’re here to support you through this. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon - Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care.

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Gracie, I 'm sorry you’re feeling so low, but don’t blame yourself. It’s not surprising after you have been through so much so young and as a single parent. Youv’e done amazingly well to hold yourself together through this. A serious illness is one of the most stressful things you can experience and can trigger depression. It is not unheard of to hold on whilst your going through it and then being overcome afterwards. It’s a similar effect to the loss of a loved one. The person left behind keeps going whilst they are arranging the funeral, reception, will and other issues and then when they no longer are under that pressure it all becomes too much and the grief comes out. You might well need to talk to someone, be it the helpline, samaritains, your GP or a counsellor. Make sure it’s someone who understands and whom you can trust, keep asking until you get something that really helps. Don’t be alone.