Any information please. ..

I’ve been trying to get through to the helpline all morning and now it’s closed :frowning:
Is there a better time to call as I really need to speak to someone. Thanks x

Hi Nicaloolah,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

I’m sorry you couldn’t get through to our helpline, but Saturdays they are only open until 2pm.  The opening hours for the helpline are weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.  0808 800 6000.  Do please try again as the staff there will be only too happy to talk to you about your concerns.  In the meantime if you would like to post your questions on these forums I’m sure there’ll be someone out there who can help.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Nicaloolah,

It can be difficult to get through to the helpline and most helplines are closed at weekends. If you feel like posting your questions or concerns on here, there are plenty of people who have probably had exactly the same concerns and worries as yourself, so it’s a great place to get answers and support.

I for one will try my best to give you some answers, as will many others of the wonderful people who contribute on here.

Take care, Mel. X

Thanks Jo and Mel
Can you tell me what is likely to happen at my first appt please. I’ve got a small, fixed and smooth round lump thats quite deep (about 6 o’clock down from my nipple). I’m not sure how long it has been there but I first noticed it after Christmas. I’ve also had some flaky skin /excema on my nipple (but i think this seems to be worse at a specific time in my cycle) and I also have pain down my shoulder/arm for a few months but this feels like a pulled muscle. I’m 41.
Ive not been given any information about what to expect other than the nurse who referred me told me that breast clinic is not always a nice place to be! The hospital have just sent a letter with an appt time and no further info. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to wait the full two weeks but…yes my appt is on the 14th day! I’ve already had to wait two weeks before referring as they wanted to rule out anything hormonal. My appt feels like a lifetime away but sensibly I know it’s not!
Thank you x

Thanks Mel, that has really helped. I’m determined that I’m not going to google anymore as I’ve scared myself but I also recognise that the majority of lumps are cysts or nothing nasty. I just keep finding reasons for my lump to be ‘the one’ because it’s fixed, not painful etc I’m trying to keep busy without forever checking that it’s still there!!

I haven’t told many people as I don’t want to feel a plonker when I’ve made a fuss over nothing but it’s hard to carry on as normal. On the other hand I can’t believe how something can get me so worked up! I’ve got lots of other medical problems and I had major surgery only 6 months ago but none of that made me feel like this!
Anyhow sorry for rambling on. Thank you for taking the time to reply xx

Thanks Mel. What you say really makes sense. I guess I just need to keep busy and remain as sane as I can be! Will consider taping my fingers and toes crossed for a bit of extra luck!!!
Take care of yourself and no doubt I will be back with another question soon!! Xxx

Sorry to bother you again Mel! I’ve phoned the hospital this morning as there is some confusion that they have rescheduled my appt. They confirmed that my appt has been changed to the very last day which is a bit frustrating but nothing I can do about it. I asked what would happen at the appt and they say that they don’t have a one stop clinic so the appt is just to see the dr. If she feels I need any tests then further appts will be made at a later date. I’m obviously a bit nattered now that it’s going to take ages before I know one way or another. Is this usual and can the dr diagnose from a physical exam only? Should I be concerned if she doesn’t send me for a mammogram or scan? This just appears so different from everything that I have read xx

Thanks Mel. I will probably message you later on this evening if that’s ok x