Anybody else waited 6 months for a mastectomy

Hi

I am still having real difficulty in accepting that I had to wait 6 months before i had a mastecomy.

I’m depressed and my husband says I just have to get it out of my mind.

I was diagnosed with dcis, had a sentinel node biopsy which showed a microscopic amount of cancer in one node and was told that i probably wouldn’t need chemo. I had a core biospy and they found a tumour. I alsonhad a ct scan and bone scan which were clear.

After all that, on 17 December I had a mastectomy, all my lymph nodes removed and dorsi flap reconstruction. I have now had 3 fec and 1 tax with two more to go then herceptin, radiology and tamoxifen.

My prognosis was 65% chance of survival to five years without treatment but with treatment it is another 20%. I had a grade 3 tumour, 2 positive nodes er and pr positive and her2 positive.

From just having dcis to the above I believe the length of time waiting has caused my horrid agressive diagnosis.

Plus i feel my husband doesn’t understand as he plays golf every weekend even the day after my chemo and also after my mastectomy. He laughs at tv programmea with a beer in his hand with me feeling depressed and suffering the effects of taxotere.

Any positive views to make me shake myself out of this depression.?

Xxxxx

Hi Mnc

I’m so sorry you are feeling so down. I’m divorced so can’t really comment why your husband is carrying on with life as he is after what you have gone through. We all need support and understanding when on this path and especially from our nearest and dearest.

I had my Mx and Recon 4 months after I was diagnosed, though in between I had 2 WLE and wound infection after 2nd op and hence Mx 4 months later.

Maybe you should ring the helpline on here, other ladies on here have found them helpful.

Again, so sorry you are feeling so down.

Sending you lots of hugs
xx

Hi mnc

I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low. As Aqua has suggested, please do call the helpline as they can offer you support and a ‘listening ear’ as well as suggesting other ways of gaining further support to help you through this difficult time.

The helpline number is 0808 800 6000, weekdays 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Take care
Lucy

Hi MNC

Sorry to hear you’re having such a rough time. I think the anger is very normal. I was angry with myself for ages about my diagnosis and also angry with the fact I had to get a second opinion (lucky I did as first surgeon got things wrong!, angry that I’d been put on HRT (premenopause for menopause symptoms) that made the cancer grow like wild fire.

the important thing right now is to get through your treatment. It’s a long haul. Your husband might find it difficult to know how to respond so depending on how things are between you perhaps you could let him know what you want from him.

The other thing I hope you won’t mind me suggesting is counselling. I did this and found it very helpful. I phoned the Cancer Counselling Trust and they responded quickly giving me 9 telephone sessions of counselling at a time to suit. They ask for a donation rather than a fee. I found it helped me to come to terms with my feelings and made me feel a lot stronger.
Their website is : cancercounselling.org.uk/

Once you’re over your chemo you may feel like joining a support group at your hospital. I would also recommend the service that Breast Cancer Care provides for a telephone support group after your treatment has finished.

Hope all your treatment goes well.
Elinda xx