anyone chosen to stop Tamox/zoladex treatment?

Hi Girls,

Its great to find a site like this where we can discuss the awful issue of bc. I had a lumpectomy last year followed by radiotherapy but no chemo. My lump was 1.7 cm and 100% Oestrogen fueled, and grade 2. Luckily there was no node involvement. I took Tamoxifen for 5 weeks and that was enough for me!! Dreadful—headaches, sickness, digestion problems and pelvic pain!

So I went on the internet did loads of research and found my solution—Ovary removal. If you don’t want anymore children ladies, and at 41 I think I am too old for that anyway! Then this is the way to go! I had them removed last July and yes, it was painful for about 5/6 months (recovery time is about 4 months usually) but since then I have been fine. Yes, I have hot flushes, the same as on Tamoxifen but that is my ONLY side effect. I have gained a little weight—maybe 7 pounds—but I am losing it now and I feel great—much better than on some drug that will only induce chemical menopause—so why not go through the real thing once only!
Sending lots of hugs.

I’ve been on nolvadex D for 4 years 3 Months, I am no longer able to get this as its been taken on the prescribing list. My Onc said that I can finish as he feels the first 3 years are the most important. I am a happy to take his advice and look forward to less hot flushes, more energy and hopefully a little weight loss. I have recently lost a stone through diet and exercise and need to lose another 1/2 stone to get back to pre bc weight. I think the best advise is to listen to your body and your Onc.

Hi All
I am still taking 1/2 tablet a day. I’ve been dieting and exercising furiously and have lost about 10lbs - its a hard slog. I never get a really good night’s sleep and ended up asking the doc for diclofenac for my chronic back stiffness, which has helped a bit. The only reason I take the tamoxifen at all is that I’d probably beat myself up if I stopped altogether and the cancer returned. Crazy though - if the stats are right then only 6 women in 100 really benefit from tamoxifen! Is that enough to make years of misery worth it?
alex
x

Hi All,
Interested in Classical girl having ovaries removed. I had my ovaries removed 21years ago.

I was diagnosed last November, my tumour was 1cm Grade 2 and oestrogen positive. I am on Tamoxifen and my side effects are minimal.

I now wonder if my oncs have forgotten that I don’t have any ovaries!!!

Hey ladies!

Pixie - I’m going to see my GP next week and will ask re the tamoxifen then. I’m not convinced by the stats either, especially as a lot of them relate to women in a higher age group. You sound like you’re doing well off the toxic phlegm. Wow! I think that says it all really. To have enough energy to even feel like doing all that let alone doing it is worth a punt I say. Brilliant!

The oophorectomy route is an interesting one, but I kind of want to give the kids thing a go. Even though I’m old ;-). And that’s a long recovery time given that work are already peed off with me being off after my fills every two weeks (they seem to think they’re a breeze - I think they should give it a go themselves and see how ‘easy’ it is!)

Love to all
Kerry
xxx

<Empty imported post>