Anyone else having a bumpy recovery post surgery

Anyone else going through a bumpy recovery post surgery? Got a wound infection which isn’t healing as quickly as they would like and seroma keeps leaking fluid through it and re-opening it. Have not hit a drain bag but have to go in and see them every two days. Anyone else having a shocker? Xx

4 Likes

Newbie1 :heart: sorry to read you are having bad not ride post surgery :heart:I’m sure others who have had seroma and issues will pop on with response :heart: also do try the someone like me option on bcn or call the number and speak to a nurse :heart: sending big hug :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Hi Newbie. So sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your wound. I had a mammoplasty and excision of tumour 13 weeks ago and I developed a seroma 48 hrs post op. It cleared up after a couple of weeks and didn’t give me any more bother but the skin on the affected breast broke down 2 weeks after surgery and it’s only now it seems to be healing. I developed cellulitis and had Iv antibiotics for a couple of days and was getting a bit down wondering if things were ever going to get better. I’ve had my first chemo last Fri and my wound is almost healed, so things are looking up. I suppose what I’m saying is that every person’s experience will be different, but you’ll usually find someone here who knows how you feel. I pray your wound and seroma all settle down soon and you feel more settled. :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for message x

1 Like

Ah thank you. So glad to hear you are finally healing! Sounds quite an ordeal but delighted you are now having chemo x

2 Likes

Just to say that (I’m not particularly religious but) I will pray for you in the hope that it helps sustain you x

2 Likes

Hello, was your surgery post chemo? Only if so, I found that I really didn’t heal properly post chemo for ages, everything took much longer than before. When my port was removed, the wound just wouldn’t heal and kept opening and then became slightly infected. It had been stitched internally but the outer area was glued. Finally I had to have it stitched and now its fine. If this isn’t the case, I do hope yours heals soon for you and good luck with it all x

1 Like

So sorry for your issues. I had a double mastectomy and on the side with cancer, I had loads of problems with a heamaseroma and had to have it drained 5 times. Luckily that was not in the slightest painful just a real nuisance at having to keep going to the clinic to have it drained. Eventually, it did stop refilling but I am left with quite an awful messy lumpy scar - I look a bit like a Raggady Andy that someone has sewn up very badly but it does not really bother me too much. I hope you get your problem sorted - just don’t worry about being a “bother” to the clinic, they are there to help. Take care and good luck :heartbeat:

1 Like

Hello @newbie1, I am sorry it’s not going smoothly for you I am only a bit more than 72 hrs post surgery, but can identify, I think, with some of what you say. I’ve done 7 cycles of chemo and everyone said the surgery would be straightforward in comparison. I’ve had lumpectomy and total node clearance. So right now I have 2 wound sites and a drain in. The drain in particular seems very cumbersome and restricting. I’m taking regular analgesia, doing the early stage gentle exercises, emptying and measuring the output from my drain and certain movements if I’m not careful pull on the stitches really painfully. So all in all it feels harder than at any time during chemo. Maybe it’s the season of the year, or maybe others are less attentive post surgery, I’m not sure. Just know you have my total sympathy and receive a virtual :hugs: xx

2 Likes

Wishing you a good recovery. Drain might feel cumbersome but really good to drain the fluid off. Put your feet up and watch Christmas films. I am on third week of antibiotics now to get armpit wound to heal but that’s because I got an infection which only happens to one in ten. Really disorienting at first after surgery so be really kind to yourself. Open the window and breathe in the air and congratulate yourself on being a survivor xx

3 Likes