Anyone else waiting for a breast clinic appointment?

Hi All,

I have just rung the hospital to check they received my referral (my last went went missing). They have and I should be hearing from the appointment people soon.

But it’s so hard waiting. I can’t concentrate on anything at the moment. I’ve got soo much work to do but I just can’t seem to get into it. Its such a pain. I don’t want to tell my (male) boss what is happening but I might have to as explanation of why nothing is getting done!

Anyone else out there in the same boat?

Jx

Hi there

I was diagnosed back in Feb but I do remember that wait very well. I too found it impossible to focus on things.

Personally, I’m a great believer in being open about things as it’s the best way to get support. I would tell your boss because it will take some pressure off you. You can say that you’re really trying to get work done but finding it hard. Also you can forewarn him that you will need time off for the appointment.

I hope you hear very soon but don’t be afraid to chase up again in a couple of days if you haven’t.
lots of luck to you
Elinda x

Hi Elinda,
Thanks for your message. It helps to be able to talk to someone about these things and know you’re not the only person who has been through this.

It’s weird because I say to myself that I’m coping very well and I’m not allowing myself to dwell on it too much or think too far ahead but I must be dwelling on it all the time cos otherwise I’d be getting some work done!

I know you’re right about being open about it but I think I will put this off a bit longer if I can. I have found some days are easier than others - hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Take care, Jx

hi all i saw my consultent today i was exspecting to have test done today but got to go back for mamo on 8th july then wait for results to come by letter is that normal or will it depend on what they see on the day the thought of another couple of weeks waiting is horrible thanks trish

Hi Trishy,

I’m sorry to hear you are having to wait again. Do they realise what this puts us through!

I don’t know if this is normal. I am being referred to a one stop clinic where I will (hopefully) get all or most of the tests done on the same day.

Could you perhaps ring the hospital clinic or your GP to ask if this is normal and get more information? I have spoken to the people at the breast clinic I am being referred to a couple of times already and they have been very nice.

Jx

J - You’re right it does sit in the back of your mind no matter how much you try to get on with things. All I can say is that the waiting is really hard.

Trishy - agree with advice to ring and find out why you have to wait for mammo etc. I had mammogram and biopsies done all at the same time and I thought that was the most usual.

Good luck to you both and hope you both get good news.
Elinda x

It seems to me that hospitals around the country seem to operate in different ways.
I went for my first routine mammogram(aged 50) in March and got picked up. I went for the Mammogram on the Tuesday and on the Saturday following, a letter came informing me that “Not to worry might not be anything” but invited me for another follow up appointment for another mammogram, also scan and a biopsy. As they found a very tiny lump in my LB.
A week later I went for results - not the results that I was hoping for. A week later saw the consultant and she gave me an appt. for 24th April for this 7mm WLE also SNB.
In May got my results 8mm in the end, ER+, Grade 2, HER 2 Negative. Nothing in the Lymph Nodes. I start Rads tomorrow. Basically the waiting between the Op and Rads is a lot longer than the beginning of all this.
Regards,
Whirlwind
Finding this brilliant site and reading a lot of the letters has helped me understand more of my results. I know a lot of ‘ladies’ don’t like the word lucky but in my case, as I hadn’t felt anything in my breast I do feel fortunate. I was lucky that it was so small too.
Can anyone tell me, how they decide on how many Radio Therapy sessions they give you. I know that having Chemo makes a diff.

Hi

I’m new to these boards.

I went to GP’s on Friday after finding a dimple on my left breast. She examined me and couldn’t find any lumps. She said that in her opinion it was what can sometimes happen in women my age! (48)

She has referred me to a breast clinic and am awaiting appointment at the moment. However, i am finding the wait really, really, difficult - i keep looking on the internet and terryfing myself and i feel as though i’m in a twilight zone.

Can anyone offer any reassurance - pleease.

Hi missn60

You might find it useful to have a look at the BCC booklet referral to a breast clinic. The booklet has been designed to provide information about what to expect at the clinic and details of the different tests you may have. If you would like a copy just follow the link below

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/59

If you need extra support and someone to talk to at this difficult time please don’t hesitate to give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can speak with a trained member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as information if required. The lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 2pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm.

I hope this is helpful

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hello Missn60

I don’t know anything about the symptoms you describe (in my case I had a definite lump) but I’m sure someone will be along soon who’s had the same.

I just wanted to say sorry you’re having such a terrifying time right now and I do understand exactly how you feel.

The waiting is most definitely the worst bit. I did the same and spent hours on the internet.

I do hope your appointment comes through soon. Let us know what happens.
Best wishes
Anthi x

Hi Missn60,

Sorry to hear you are having to wait. I too have found the waiting awful. But this site is great and I have found the support from the people on here has really really helped me.

I hope you get your appointment soon. Let us know how you get on.

Jx

Hi

Thanks for your replies - i’ve got my appointment for Monday 13th at 11.10 am.

At the moment i range from being very calm to absolutely petrified at the drop of a hat. I’m at work but cannot concentrate on anything.

I’ll keep you posted of outcome

X

Hi Missn60,

Glad you have got your appointment. I just wanted to wish you good luck for Monday. Hope it all goes well.

Jx