Anyone had recon as a day case patient?

Hi all

I am having recon on 20th October as a day patient. I had my mastectomy back in 05 and am now having the implant under the muscle recon.

Has anyone else had recon as a day patient? I am petrified and wonder if I am doing the right thing or if I should back out yet again!

Neenienxx

Hi Neenie.

I had my permanent implant fitted in July this year in hospital at 8 am. Operation at 4.30 pm. Went home at 8.30 pm. Apparently you can only go home same day if you don’t have any opiates.

Don’t back out have the recon will be one of the best decisions in your life, it makes all the difference.

All the best,

Lou

Thanks so much Lou, its great to hear that I am not the only one who is having this done as a day case. They are hoping to get a permanent implant in on first go but if not then an expander will have to be used.

Did you get sent home with any drains?

Everyone who has recon seems to have drains and no drains have been mentioned to me and if drains are required how does this work as a day case?

I really do hope I am making the right decision.

Lou, I hope you don’t mind me asking, but does your implant move upwards or is it held tight under the muscle? I know it may sound like a strange question but I am wondering if there is any movement at all like when you wear a push up bra or is the position quite fixed?

Neenie xx

Hi Neenie

I didn’t have any drains either with expander implant or permanent implant, apparently I don’t bleed a greeat deal. My implant is becoming softer day by day was quite tight when put in in July but now doesn’t feel much different to my other breast albeit a lot more pert. I can push it upward like with push up bra.

Hope this helps, anything else just ask.

Lou x x

Hi Lou

Thank you so much as I feel so much better about the op after hearing from you. I am off to see the surgeon now for sizing up apparently LOL, just want it all over and done with now. This time next week it will be too late to back out hehe!

xx Neenie xx

Hi Neenie

Just wanted to say all the best with your op. Its definately worth it.

Lou x x

Good luck with your op Neenie
Had my implants June 2007 - love them
Chrissie xx

Hi Everyone and THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I went to see my surgeon and am now all sized up and ready to go.

I have to be at the hospital by 7.45am on Monday and its a good 1 1/2 hours drive away. Not looking forward to the drive home LOL. Most of the way home is on bad country roads EEK!!!

I am sooooooooooooooo scared its unreal but I have put it off now for 3 years and this time I am not backing out.

I have spent today shopping for front opening PJ’s and tops and getting on top of the cleaning as I know I may be out of action for a little while. The things us women have to go through.

Love to you all

Neenie xx