Anyone in Lincolnshire?

Just wondered if there is anyone out there from Lincolnshire? Have to have chemo at Lincoln, which is 25 miles from home - so looking for fellow sufferers closer to home, as feeling pretty lonely!

Hi, where abouts in Lincolnshire? I live in Peterborough and used to work in Spalding so not a million miles away…

Jo x

Hi Jo
I’m in Grantham - so you’re about as far away from me as Lincoln is! It’s bizarre - I can’t believe there is only me in this area. I put an identical post on here shortly after diagnosis and got no responses at all. Not that I would wish BC on anyone else, not even my worst enemy! Did you have any difficulty finding fellow sufferers locally? It just would be nice to maybe meet for coffee with people who understand how you are feeling.

Hi Sam and Jo

You may find of interest a Younger Womens Forum that is in Leeds on 16th and 17th November, they are an opportunity gain information and the chance to meet others in similar circumstances, these two-day events are for women aged 20-45 who have been diagnosed with breast cancer during the last three years.

There is also the telephone support group for younger women that has been developed specifically for women in their 20s and 30s who have been diagnosed with primary invasive breast cancer. The aim of the group is to give you the opportunity to talk privately and confidentially to other women around the UK with similar experiences.

For more imformation telephone 0808 800 6000 email <script type=“text/javascript”>eval(unescape(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%22%3e%69%6e%66%6f%40%62%72%65%61%73%74%63%61%6e%63%65%72%63%61%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%2e%75%6b%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))</script>

Kind Regards
Sam
Breast Cancer Care

Thanks Sam (moderator) but I’m at a wedding that weekend and Leeds is a bit far for me!

I’m lucky (?) in that my local hospital is just starting a support group for younger women and has invited me to take part in a couple of weeks time so hopefully I’ll meet some people there. Plus, I have been speaking to a couple of Peterborough lasses on here.

Hard to believe there’s no-one else in the Grantham area on here?

I think I am one of 2 or 3 women being treated in Peterborough who are under 30. How old are you and when were you diagnosed?

Jo x

I have put my name down for the Younger Womens Forum in February in Birmingham, but that seems quite a long way off at the moment.

Jo - that’s good news about your hospital starting a group. I’ve tried leaving (business) cards at Lincoln hospital and in my local GP’s surgeries and at the library - I’ve been told that people are taking my cards but have not had any contact from anyone, yet.

I’m 36 years old and was diagnosed in May this year - I’m having chemotherapy first, then surgery, then radiotherapy. I have three children under five (twins aged 2 and a 4 year old, who’s just started school), and would like to meet others in a similar situation.

You must have been gutted, being under 30 - does BC run in your family?

My Great Grandmother had breast cancer but I was told that isn’t close enough to cause concern. Mum has just been checked out and is ok thankfully.

I was pretty shocked - I’m 27 so the consultant didn’t prepare me for the worst because he wasn’t expecting it to be anything to worry about. I’m sure it’s no less gutting to hear no matter how old you are though.

I’m about midway through my chemo (diagnosed in July) then I’ll have surgery, and then possibly radiotherapy. You must be about to finish your chemo now?

Wow - 3 under 5 years old? They must keep you pretty busy! I don’t have any children but am hoping that I’ll be able to one day.

I hope someone gets in touch from your cards soon. Seems likely if people are picking them up. Keep in touch and if you get really desperate, you can always jump on a train and come to Peterborough :slight_smile:

Hi. I also live in Lincoln and apart from one friend who lives along the road who was diagnosed after me know no-one with BC locally.

I am 2 years post diagnosis but am having lots of scans etc for some swollen lymph nodes in my chest so am back at Lincoln County hospital rather too frequently. I am a bit older at 47 but still feel young !!

Alison

Hi Alison

There are so many people haing treatment when I go for mine - apparently around 150 per week. I am curious to know where they all must live! I suppose though, that they are having treatment for all different kinds of cancer - not just breast, hence they wouldn’t look on this website.

Are they just keeping an eye on you or have you not yet finished your initial treatment?

Hi, just joined the forum, but I’m 30 and was diagnosed in June. I’m from Lincoln (infact about 10 mins walk from Lincoln County breast unit!). Not having chemo or rad therapy yet, as am on zoladex & letrozole to try & shrink my lump…will eventually have surgery & radiotherapy tho.

Hope your treatment is going ok.

Hannah xx

Hello ladies!
I’m from Lincolnshire but live in Sheffield where I have been having treatment. I was 27 when I was diagnosed 2 years ago. All I can say is take each day as it comes…you will get there slowly but surely. I can’t recommend BCC’s younger womens forum enough as it really helped me get through a rough patch. The younger womens telephone support group is also excellent if you are feeling a tad lonely.
Big hugs,
Katey x

Hi Hannah and Katey

Thanks for your posts. Sorry, have not been on the website for ages - had a mastectomy on 06/12/07, all went well. Get my results from the op. on Friday - fingers crossed!!

Hannah - I hope that your treatment is going okay. I didn’t realise there was an alternative to chemo for shrinking a lump - how are you finding it? Many side effects?

Katey - I did take part very recently in the telephone support group, and as you said, it was really good - it is important to speak to women of a similar age and you find that a lot of the thoughts/problems you have others have too, which is reassuring. Has your treatment finished now?

Sally

Hi Sally,

Yeah, treatment’s not going too bad thanks… no change in 4 months, but am now on different meds after last week, so fingers crossed for some change, or else it’ll be a mastectomy rather than lumpectomy. They only suggested hormone therapy as my lump is highly hormone receptive apparantly (mind you, it’s a stubborn bugger at the mo & not shrinking!), I think I’m a bit of a guinea pig to be honest & haven’t come across anyone on here who’s having the same pre-surgery treatment as me, and in all the medical journals (I’m at uni, so get free access to all the med. journals), it seems to be a really new form of treatment & only been done for 1-2 years… I’m not finding it too bad, I’ve put on stacks of weight (well about a stone), my joints ache real bad, but the initial mood swings, hot flushes & night sweats have gone totally since I started taking herbal meds, which makes it much more bearable. At the end of the day I’m just pleased there’s an alternative for me to chemo. I have total respect & admiration for you ladies going through it. I’ve seen a few people go through it & I know I just couldn’t hack it personally. I think my consultant thinks I’m a bit mad for not wanting it, but I would rather have a mastectomy than have chemo, and that’s the potential plan in the end, providing my lymph nodes are ok.

Any way, best wishes for Christmas & new year.
Love Hannah xx