Anyone in Oxford?

Hi all

Was diagnosed with DCIS in LH breast on 29 December 2011, had a WLE at the Churchill in January and was going to have RT, but then found out the pathology was bad and can’t have radiotherapy due to having other medical conditions - also have two lumps they are monitoring in RH breast (i’ve had lots of lumps and have always ‘got away with it’ before). So surgeon and oncologist have advised double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (probably in May) and I then have to have my ovaries out as well (prob in August). So it’s all ‘a bit much’ really…feeling scared right now…

I’m new to Oxford so didn’t have a chance to make friends before this happened, and I’m deferred now from my uni course (I’m 39 and was studying acupuncture), my family are pretty much estranged from me and I don’t have a partner. So I’m doing this on my own and am pretty desperate for people to talk to and some local company - it would be lovely to meet some local ladies, particularly of around my generation.

Is there anyone out there???! Xx

Hi gingerbiscuit

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences and support you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They’re on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi, I’m in Oxford and a regular at the Churchill!! In a different place from you (recurrences etc) and wouldn’t want to depress you!! But PM me if you want to chat more!!
Gx

Same here; I am a secondary lady. I kept well away from them when I am my primary diagnosis.
You should get in touch with the Maggie Centre at the Churchill, they will help you get some help.

hi gemdancer, hi vercors

sorry, new to forums, so not sure if i’m doing this right - but thank you so much for replying - will see if i can get up the nerve to go to the maggies centre (am terrified i’m going to cry on them, and i really hate crying in public!)

hugs to you both, x

I’ve cried all over the Churchill, so don’t worry! Maggies are very friendly. I also cried a lot on my breast care nurse. Do you have one? You can make an appointment to see them! She also set me up with a counsellor who I still see! Do you have a decent GP. Mine has been another source of help. I’m going to send you a private message in case you want to chat more. Gx