anyone on aromasin?

hi i am hoping to change from arimidex to aromasin, can anyone tell me how they have got on with it please
Alisonx

hi, have been on aromsin for 5 weeks now. Onc. unsure if I am still hormone receptive, but trying them out.
After about 3 weeks started on side effects. Skin sores, blistering and joint pains. Thankfully they seem to be disappearing now. Not sure if this means treatment is working. Did you suffer with arimidex?? Why are you changing??

Dozz

Hi Dozz, i am having an awful time on arimidex, sore joints, high blood pressure and nausea, to name but a few, i have read the side effects for both drugs and the aromasin seems to have less, not many, but enough i feel, i am glad to hear that the side effects are abating for you, so fingers crossed i get on it soon
Alisonxxxxx

hi alison, i also have high bp. both gp & onc dismiss my thoughts it is down to aromasin. told it could be because of diabetes. yet another tablet to take. no nausea though. hope you do not have too many side effects this time.

well i spoke to my gp yesterday via the phone, he will not give me aromasin until the surgeon has sent an official letter to him, even though my surgeon sent a letter saying that aromasin was an option for me! so i have yet again rang the bc nurse (who by the way spoke to my gp yesterday and got the same reply) and left a message to see if the surgeon can do me a prescription that i can collect from the hospital! its not very good when they would have you without is it? i spat my dummy out and told the gp that i wasn’t going to take anymore arimidex, of course i have taken them as i am such a coward and fear the worst if i don’t have these drugs.
Alisonxxx

Hi Alison

I changed from Arimidex to Aromasin last year (before I was put on Femara).

Side effects (grotty) were identical for me. I think these drugs are so chemically similar in make-up that it was inevitable…

S

hi Bahons2, i start on the aromasin tomorrow, so am hoping that at least some of the effects will subside, how are you finding the femara, that one has not been mentioned to me though i have heard about it
Alisonx

Hi Alison

Femara was just like Aromasin for me. I had terrible joint pains for about 3 or 4 days after I started it tho’ and then it was just like taking Aromasin (which was basically just like taking Arimidex!). I’m not taking Femara at the moment as they are currently giving me some chemo (yuk).

X

S

how come your having chemo?
Alisonx

Hi Alison

Why the chemo? They have found some infected lymph nodes in the axilla and want to give them a blast with something.

X

S

good, i am glad that they are doing all they can to get rid of the infection, let us know how you get on
Alisonxxx

Hi Alison

Thanks for your good wishes - sorry for the delay in replying - have been away for a week or so.

All the best

S

well, i have been on this for ten days now, i feel constantly sick, i fell on saturday and hurt all my back, i don’t even know how i fell back like i did, i really don’t think i can put my body through much more, it seems to be a case of “you’re damned if you do, and you’re damned if you don’t!” i can’t shift this headache, saw the practice nurse today, she is going to do some bloods for my cholestrial (at my request!) my thyroid and an ecg to try to determine what is going on, then if i am really lucky i might actually get to see a gp on monday next week! i think for the sake of 4% on my overall 10 year survivour rate then i may as well just stop taking the damn things, this is no quality of life for anyone, especially when your made to feel that its all in your head.
hope you had a great hols Bahons x
Alisonxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Alison - sorry to hear you feel so rotten - sounds like you are doing the right thing by trying to identify all possible causes of your discomfort. I agree that your quality of life can suffer terribly on these drugs - they are designed to chemically desex us and it’s no wonder our bodies don’t like it!

For me, tamoxifen years ago was the pits - the hot flushes were terrible - I remember standing barefoot on a frosty patio one dark night thinking I was going to spontaneously ignite! - and it made me sluggish and slightly depressed. Not to mention enlarging my womb to twice its normal size and terrible bleeding.

I had a great time last week, thanks - I wasn’t on holiday though - I was at an OU residential school! Terrific fun, but not very restful!

Hope you get something sorted out very soon.

X

S

hi Bahon, well, enough is enough and i took my last aromasin on Sunday, no more as i can’t stand the loss of control i seem to have over my body (had yet another funny turn on Sat night), so i am hoping to feel back to normal soon!!!
Alisonxxx

Hi Alison

Hope you are starting to feel a bit better now - sounds like your bod needs a break more than it needs the Aromasin!

X

S

Hi Bahons, i have to say, i feel a bit like yuk, think it is possibly the coming off the damn things, so am hoping this improves as the days go by, i suppose it takes a while to get it out of your system.
Alisonxxxx

Hi Alison

I think it may take a while, as you say. I’ve heard of people taking Femara/Aromasin ‘holidays’ - of up to a month if I recall correctly, but don’t quote me.

(Have to say the chemo I’m having is not pleasant, but it’s so nice to be rid of those hot flushes for a few months!)

X

S

well, been off the drugs for nearly a week, like to say i felt tons better, but i don’t! mind you i think most of my feeling lousy is the fact that i had a call from my bc nurse on Thursday about my mammo results, i have a 9mm mass, the surgeon is almost sure it is just a benign cyst, i have to wait till i go next friday to have a scan and biopsy, so roll on next week.
hope the chemo carries on going well for you Bahons xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Alisonxxx

Hi Alison

Sorry to hear you’ve got more worry and tests. I sometimes think bc treatment is 90% waiting around and 10% action - and it’s waiting that’s the worst.

I’ll be thinking of you and hoping things go well. Let us know how yu are going on.

(Had 2nd chemo Fri - Tax - so I’ll be well on the way to La-La Land tomorrow!)

X

S