Anyone on EPI ans CMF :-)

Sue et al sounds like this chemo lark is all a bit of a con doesnt it, you all seem so well so far!! Wait til next week when I am vomiting for England and a gibbering wreck in the corner of the chemo unit, I always like to buck a trend! Seriously though cant tell you how glad I am that you are well and not just for purely selfish reasons.
Why though are we on ECMF when everyone else seems to be on FEC? Does anyone know? ECMF seems popular in Shropshire, a girl I work with was on the same regime 3 or 4 years ago (she is fabulously well now by the way), but there arent many of us out there and I would like to know if anyone had it explained to them.
Keep posting all fellow ECMF-ers so we can compare side effects and hilarious chemo related anecdotes(!)
Keep it up,
Rachel

hi daffodil

E-CMF is a bit milder than FEC… instead of 6 epis you have 4 (epi is the stronger part of the regime)… sometimes its given if you are older or have cardiac problems but also given if your lower risk of recurrence.

it has less toxicities (apparently!) so if there is smaller risk of recurrence they wouldnt want to give you the most toxic type of chemo…but generally speaking it varies from place to place and really is dependant on your oncologists preferences as there is no national protocol on which chemo you should have… and when it all comes down to it no two peoples situations are exactly the same.

hope you dont find it too problematic… im now almost 18 months post chemo and hair is back and brain is (almost) back LOL

Lulu xxx

Hi all,

I was reading on the internet that EPI is given in case of triple negative cancer which does not respond to hormone treatment which mine is not sure if yours is same???. I looked it up as a lot of people on here are HER2 positive. I am 48 so considered young at the hospital!! and have no heart problems. I know you probably shouldnt look up these things whilst going through the treatment but was curious as to why I was on this regime when as you say Rachel everyone else seems to be on the FEC regime. Good luck for your start next week

Wow!!! I had CMF 14 years ago, like some of you found it okish, I sneezed a lot!!!??? reading posts now its like a different language!!! not sure what I have to go through yet ( see post on newly diagnosed, " Icant believe it" ) I will certainly be coming back to pick all your brains (what chemo leaves you with) if and when ( prob when knowing my luck!!!) I need your advice, you learn far more from this site than some health proffessionals!!! Jxxx

UPDATE
just had in todays post a copy of letter one surgeon sent to another he said there was’extensive lymphovascular invasion’ am thinking that chemo is now a definite bet!!! gets better & better eh?

Hi J

So sorry to hear of your re diagnosis how awful for you when you had 14 years clear. I am sure you are feeling thoroughly p****D off with everything. I hope everything goes well for you and yes as you say these forums are great for getting you through. Your little boy sounds a delight and am sure is a great inspiration for you to fight this awful thing again. I am due 2nd EPI week on Tues so will definitely let you know how it goes if you end up on the same treatment!!! All the very very best wishes to you and your family at this very worrying time for you. At least you can vent on here when ever you feel the need!!!

Jill x x

Hi all, just catching up on posts, J this is awful for you after all this time, I had dcis 4years ago now invasive ductal cancer. Having had both breasts off and, it seemed, no node involvement, hope this is it for me. I bet it was all behind you wasnt it? Well you are in the right place for support on this site so keep posting.
Jill, my cancer is er+ so really must ask oncology team why ecmf as grade 3 stage 2 so at higher risk of recurrence and this is my second time around with cancer altough no chemo 1st time. I am 41 so like you, considered young ( ah well every cloud nice to be thought of as young!)

Thanks for that to say I have been lulled into a false sense of security over time would be a gross understatement!!! But last time I was fighting for my life…now I am fighting for life with my hubby and my babies!!!XXX Aprize worth fighting for !

Hi Everyone,

Just logged in, so sorry to hear your news J and keep posting,
Thanks for advice and info Lulu.
Rachel I too have invasive ductal breat cancer er+ her+ grade 3, live in Shrops, I also have dcis four and half years ago! Mx and recon 2006 as it was widespread dcis.

I am feeling okay still, just felt slightly sick this am abit like morning sickness and abit tired, but just been pottering around house, (eating ginger biscuits seemed to help!}

All the best Rachel next week and Jill hows your sore throat?

Sue x

Hi Sue et al

Throat fine now thanks. Glad to hear you are feeling ok. Will stock up on ginger biccies for next time if they work!!!

Jill

Hi Jill and all epicmf peeps,

Glad your throat is better still feeling not too bad so far, just sent OH out for another supply of ginger biscuits and have even done an hours housework!

Love to all Sue x

Hi All

Bit of a bad morning today hair has started to fall out!!! Although new it was coming still a shock when it happens!

Sue hope you still feeling well? Have bought stash of ginger biccies today!!!

Off to moult a bit more!!!

Best wishes

JIll x x x

Hi Everyone,

feel tired today but not too bad just lying on sofa watching daytime tv and drinking pineapple squash which I love now, got that from tips to get you through chemo!
Sorry Jill to hear about your bad morning, I don’t think I will be long behind you as my scalp is very tingly, I feel like I have nits!Sending you big hugs Jill and all the best to all the other ladies.

Love Sue x

Thanks for that Sue just to say that theres a bit of a shropshire thing going on + an update on my situation in " I can’t believe it" in newly diagnosed link I’m rushing off as my boy (who is autistic is shoutin " Mom I’ve finished on the toilet" incessantly!!! be back soon enough!!! XX
Jeanettexxx

sorry a bit late in replying here… but it was in connection with what Tolliebelle had read on t’internet.

Epis is good for triple negative disease but epi is given pretty much as standard as it works better than standard cmf… cmf is whats called a 1st generation chemo but epi-cmf and fec are second generations… epi is a type of chemo called an anthracycline and are stronger than 1st gen types… there is also 3rd generation chemo which is a taxanes.

taxanes are better for triple negative disease in comination with anthracycline treatment… normally fec-t.

daffodil you sound quite similar to me… i had first breast cancer at 37 which was grade 1 so i didnt need chemo for it and then a second triple negative cancer which was grade 3 when i was 40 so needed to have chemo… e-cmf isnt the normal regime for triple negative disease but they didnt want me to have a taxane.

Sue i love how you wrote epicmf… looks like EPIC M.F… and i can think of some epic MFs that would be appropriate LOL

hope you are all coping ok.

Lulu xxxx

Hi Everyone hope you are all ok, I spoke too soon the other day about doing housework have been so tired on sofa watching daytime tv all day but not too bad. Does anyone else feel pregnant while on this, I have gone off lots of foods and tea, coffee, green tea but have cravings for potatoes!

thanks Lulu for info and brill re comment on epic mf, OH and I have been laughing out loud !

Love to all Sue x

Hi All

Hope everyone feeling ok. Sue must admit haven’t been put off any foods or had any cravings but am eating like a pig!! Think it is not working and sitting round watching tv (How rubbish is daytime TV!!!) I am glad I am normally working couldn’t watch that all the time would go mad!! I did like you went mad one day then spent the next few regretting it!! Anyway still moulting but no bald patches as yet! Have got scarves and wig at the ready!! Lulu thanks for the info I think maybe it must just depend on the onc you have as to which treatment they give you who knows??? Anyway hope all continue to feel well

Best wishes

Jill x x x

YES!!! First one under my belt!! All went well today no probs going in, having picc line fitted for next one and feeling good apart from a bit of nausea now. So fingers crossed it stays this good as the sickness can be controlled right!
Finally got answers at pre chemo meeting as to why this regime and am totally happy now, wish they would just give you all the info you need at the start, some people ar ignorance is bliss and some people are knowledge is power,guess which one I am??
Hope you are all well and getting by, but no matter how ill I get I wont be watching Jeremy Kyle, even if my arms fall off and the tv remote breaks.Rachel

Hi All,

Well done Rachel! It does feel better once you’ve done the first one.Glad you got the answers about your regime.
I too will not result to JK and will never moan about working again!

Hope everyone is ok. Bit brighter today, appetites come back too and got the munchies.My ten year old has a bad cough and Ive been trying to avoid her, hope I don’t catch it.
Sue x

Hi All

Hope eveyone is ok. Rachel glad to hear your first one went ok hope you are still feeling ok???

Have just had my hair shaved off!!! A number 2 so not completley bald (bit patchy!) yet but my head was killing me felt like someone was tugging my hair out for me so bit the bullet and got friend round with clippers!! Feels better already not sure I suit really really short hair!! But have scaves out ready for tomorrow. Not sure about the wig feels funny and baggy??? Anyway hope you are all keeping well

Best Wishes

Jill x x x

Hi all, yes still feeling fine today, coping with sickness and dropped the steroids as appetite ok and nausea on the wain. Hooray!Rachel