Anyone out there?

Im having surgery on thurs for a lumpectomy, and centinal node biopsy. Surgeon really terrified me be talking about further surgery if he ccould not remove all the cancerous cells, and also talked about lymph clearance. Scared. I,m only 40. Any one to help?

Hi Julie,

I am 44 and felt very scared just like you when I had my mastectomy and sentinal node biopsy. The operation itself was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, the nurses and doctors were so kind both before the operation and afterwards. I was only in hospital for a couple of days and so was soon at home recovering. I felt tired after the operation and made sure that I took it easy and slept as much as I could.
When I got the sentinal node biopsy results unfortunately the cancer was in 4 out of 6 lymph nodes removed. I therefore had to have a lymph node clearance. Again, this was not as bad as I thought and although both operations do come with some discomfort I found them easier than the 2 caesarian sections I have had: certainly easier to sleep without the babies that come with the caesarians!
The second operation did not entail another scar or anything it just meant winding things backwards a few weeks in terms of recovery. Anyway, you do not even know that you will need this operation yet!
This is a wonderful website and you will find all the support you will get to be very comforting indeed. All of the women have been through the same or similar experiences to you - I found this helped me a great deal and with so many women in the same boat as me also helped me to be far more positive about what I was going to go through.
I hope this helps a little bit - take care
Pauline x

hi julie8,
sorry you have had to join us.
I had a lumpectomy and 7 nodes removed in jan 04.
From what i understand, further surgery is sometimes neccesary if the margins from the cells are not big enough [someone else will probably be able to tell you what exactly the margins have to be…sorry i can’t remember] also i believe that if your node biopsy shows any slight node involvement they may decide to to do a node clearance as it is not possible to tell at surgery which nodes are or are not involved.
My sister-in-laws sister had further surgery after her lumpectomy as the margins weren’t clear enough with lumpectomy and the sample nodes they took showed one being involved so she then had a clearance.

Hoping things go well with your lumpectomy.

karen

Hi Julie,

I’m sorry you’ve had to join us, but rest assured, you’re in good company here. I want to wish you well for your op tomorrow. I was diagnosed in march, age 34, and had my right mastectomy and total axillary clearance a week after diagnosis. Its scary stuff isn’t it?!!

I really hope your op goes well tomorrow and I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care and be sure to let us know how you get on,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Julie,
Please bear with me as this is the first time I have used the site. Like you, I have just been diagnosed with Breast Cancer, I am 36. Last Tues I had a lumpectomy and the node biopsy. I couldn’t believe how well I felt when I came round - everyone had told me I would be in pain. But it was more discomfort and sore than actual pain. The wound seems to be healing nicely - I now just play the waiting game for the results. Good Luck for tomorrow - I will be thinking of you
Tracy xx

Hi Julie,

Hope all goes well tomorrow. I think one of the most difficult parts of this is not knowing what will happen next, and the waiting for results all the time. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy and needed to go back for re-excision as there wasn’t full clearance and also one of my lymph nodes was affected so they did an axillary clearance. It wasn’t anything like as bad as I thought it would be.

Do let us know how you get on.

Sunny xx

hi julie,
thinking of you for tomorrow

karn xx

Dear Julie8and Bettyboo

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums, I am sure you will continue to receive valuable information and support from your fellow forum users. In addition, you are welcome to contact our freephone helpline on 0808 800 6000 , where you are able to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment and any worries you have. The line is open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturdays 9am - 2pm

Breast Cancer Care have recently published a Resources Pack which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can download it from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

Kind Regards
Emma
Breast Cancer Care

Hi Julie hope your surgery went OK, by the time you get to read this I will be in hospital having the same!! well lumpectomy and axillary node clearance (all the lymph nodes below a certain blood vessel apparently and 1 above it) I have also been warned that I may have to go back for further surgery if there isn’t a clear margin of 1cm all around what they have extracted! My consultant said that sometimes they take a bit more, but sometimes if taking a bit more leads to the breast being too mis-shapen they will opt for a mastectomy and reconstruction. I was also 40 when diagnosed, it is a real shocker isn’t it? but you have come to the right place to get support, don’t be afraid to ask anything!

Well hope the surgery wasn’t too bad, hope you’re being looked after as you recover without too much discomfort and hope your margins were clear!

Take care Nicky

hi nicky and julie,
hope your both recovering well from your surgery.

love
karen x

Tracey and Nicky(and all who have responded)
Had my op on thursday, all went very well. I have a 2 inch scar on my boob and one the same under my arm. I’m trying to do my exercises and not think about the results too much (tuesday). Ive been told not to put soap under my arm or deoderant, does anyone know how long this is for? When do you get your results Tracey and Nicky?

Hi Julie,

I’m really pleased to hear your op went very well. Keep up with those exercises missus!!! The waiting around for results is horrid to be honest, we’ve all been there so feel for you. I hope it goes well for you on tues, please let us know how you get on.

I had a mastectomy and total axillary clearance and wasn’t really told about the deodorant thing, although I think I’d read something on here about it. I personally never stopped using a deodorant, but I did change to a roll-on cream one rather than my usual spray. Also, at first I used one made by ‘Simple’ as it was alcohol free.

I wish you well for tues, will be thinking of you,

Take care,

Kelly
-x-

Hi Julie,
I am thinking of you today, praying you have good news.
Sending love and hugs .
Rosamund x

Hi Julie, Just wanted to wish you good luck for today, I will be thinking of you and hope you get good news. Please let me know how you get on.
Lots and Lots of Love
Jillianxxx

Hi julie,
i had alumpectomy and all the nodes removed under my left arm in february this year. i’m 41 and am now well on the way to recovery. i’ve come through 3 weeks of radio therapy and the tiredness that went with it and am now convalescing, 've had refloxology, back and leg massage, yoga class and pilates, which i had never tried before!!! i do some running, and have not run since late january, but last week on the 4th july i complated the 5k Race For Life at Blackpool. i was over the moon as i complated the run without stopping or walking and it meant so much as i did it with my sister.
you will get through the next few months, although at times you will think you perhaps won’t. the best advice i was given was to be kind to yourself, whatever maximum effort you put into other things, like work, family etc,. you now need to re focus that energy and put it into yourself and getting better. certainly something i’ve never done, but your body and mind deserveit.
take care and good luck for the op.
bev xxxxxx

Hi Julie,

Glad to hear the op went ok. I wasn’t told not to use deodarent, but I couldn’t use soap for the 10 days until the strips came off?? Sorry - can’t help.
I get my results Thurs 12th - were yours today?? If so that is quick which is better for you as the sitting around is a nightmare. Please let me know how you get on!! I will let you know Thurs what my future holds.
Keep up with the exercises!!!
sending lol,
Tracy xx

HI girls , im new to this forum , i was diagnosed last week having ductal breast cancer at stage 3. im 30 years old, everthing happened so fast, i was operated on last friday had partial mastectomy and some nodes taken for sampling, i have to go back tomorow to get dressing changed havent seen it yet so im abit nervous about that,
my consultant said the same , that if nodes come back positive il need more surgery, i was aslo told not to wash under arm or get dressing wet,

hope this helps and we can all help one another true this

xxxxx
breda

Great news guys, I had a clear margin from my lumpectomy and no lymph nodes involved. I’m elated to say the least. I have to have hormone therapy and radiotherapy still but i feel that things are good. Thankyou for all your good wishes and prayers-Karen,Rosamund,Jillian,Bev and Tracey.

Bev, I am doing the race for life on Sunday and it will be for all you guys on this forum. Tracey- I hope your news is good, I will be thinking of you on the 12th, Breda welcome to the site, I hope you get good news tomorrow.

Lots of love Juliexxxxxx

Dear Julie,
I am so pleased for you- did you expect your lymph nodes to be involved or was it a complete surprise?
xx

oops I mean clear!!