Anyone with hormonal cancer been given Estriol cream?

I’m currently a few years post diax but having letrozole, just been dx with “atrophic vaginitis” by my GP who has prescribed an estriol cream to be used topically for 10-14 days. The leaflet with the cream screams not to be used if you have had breast cancer. What do I do???

Help!

Jeanie
x

I think you need to speak to your oncologist before you use it.

Unless your GP has already contacted him?

X

S

Several women on this site have been given oestrogen pessaries or cream - often to help with stress incontinence or vaginitis. I asked my onc about this and was told that it’s ‘not very dangerous’ for someone with hormonal BC. They believe that the oestrogen is not absorbed into the system but just acts locally. Like many things with BC it’s a matter of risks and benefits and is a personal decision.
Good luck
Anthi x

Hi Jeanie

I’m also a Jeannie. My GP suggested this cream on the recommendation of my oncologist. When I read up about it I decided not to use it as my cancer was 100% ER+ and PR+. I have been using SYLK for over 4 years and am quite happy with it. I used to buy it on the internet but it is now available on prescription. I’m not sure if estriol cream would do any harm but I felt I wanted to try other options first. I would suggest going with your own intuition.

Take care.

Jeannie

Jeanie

I really think your onc needs to be in the picture about this.

It seems that many are happy for their patients to be prescribed these creams, but given you’ve had a hormone positive cancer, I think it would be sensible to keep him in the loop.

I have had two oestrogen positive cancers and oncologist has categorically forbidden any type of topical oestrogen, btw. (I have a feeling mine may be in the minority, tho’).

X

S

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I will do as you suggest and get my oncologist’s opinion. I have tried Sylk Jeannie and that’s what I am using at the moment until I make my decision about the estriol. It’s so difficult to balance the risks and benefits as you have all said. It’s pretty rubbish feeling like this in your mid 40s and I know there are lots of you who are even younger. I think the quote of the moment has to come from my GP who said “I take it you’re not having a lot of sex at the moment?”. Sex? LOL, I can’t even sit down comfortably!!!

Jeanie xx

What am I talking about!!? It’s rubbish feeling like this no matter what your age. Sorry xx

Hi Jeanie
As an “old biddy” age 64, I’m not in the least upset about your comments. I do appreciate that it is something you don’t expect when you are younger. I’m on letrozole as well and expect to have this problem some time in the future. At present I’m having fun with my old bones. I’m trying to take Alendronic Acid (Fosemax) for thin bones, not quite osteoporotic but not far off. I had an acute reaction to the last one so am a bit wary about taking any more.
Oh the joys of taking tablets, then tablets to counteract their side effects then tablets for…! Still if they keep me going so I can spend my kids inheritance that’s fine.
Hope you manage to solve your problem.
Margaret

Oh Margaret 64 is still young, plenty of action!! My nan is 90 and just about slowing down now! I have osteoporosis and I was on alendronic acid which didn’t suit me because of GI problems (I had such severe heart burn I really thought I was having a heart attack!!), then I tried ibandronic acid and had an allergic reaction to that and now I am on risedronate. Suits me much better, though I still take lansoprazole for the heart burn and indigestion. Like you say we take one pill and then another to counter the side effects and then another to counter the side effects of that. I just want off the lot and to be honest my oncologist and I have agreed that we aren’t far off taking that step. I’ll be so happy!Though I don’t have the guts to just bail out of the whole thing without my oncs agreement. I have a call in to her to ask about the estriol. My GP just thought it was terrible the state I am in and I think he thinks the risk is outweighed by the benefits but I will see what the oncologist says. The other Jeannie is right though - Sylk does help and you might want to invest in some if the time comes that you get this. But I hope for yourself that being a bit older at the start (and presumably post menopausal?) will make it easier on you, I kind of assume that I get the brunt of everything because this is all so unnatural for me - my nan and great grandmother were still having babies at my age!! (number 10 and number 15 respectively, so there you go - it could be worse!!).

Remember you don’t have to stick with alendronic acid Margaret - ask your oncologist to try another drug, there are loads of them! Some are monthly too and there’s one that’s three monthly by injection/ IV.

Thanks for your help and good wishes

Jeanie xx

Hi Jeanie
Thanks for the complement! Generally I do feel youngish and am fairly active but the reaction made all my joints and body acheso much I felt about 90. I’ve given the tablet a miss this week but will give it one more try before I ask to change. Thanks for the tip about Sylk. I will remember that.
Life can be a b***er some times. You sound as if you are suffering with one thing and another. I hope you manage to get sorted and bring some comfort back to your life.
Love
Margaret