Appointment coming up - what questions should I ask

Hi, I am 33 and have been to the doctors with a slight pain in my left breast to be told there is a lump but should be nothing to worry about. Was advised to come back in 4 weeks and the lump is still there so now being referred to breast clinic on 24th Aug. The doctor seemed Very’s convinced it was nothing to worry about so I was happy I was going just to be sure but the fast track referral letter talking about symptoms of cancer has sent me into a huge anxiety and I can’t stop thinking about it. To try and do something proactive I thought as many people have said to write a list of questions for when I am there, but if I’m honest, I don’t really know what I should be asking! Is there anything you asked that was really helpful or anything you really wish you had asked at your initial appointment? Thanks for your help and the distraction from Dr google!

Hi Tucki, 

We all get referred under the two week rule so don’t read anything in to that , it is standard and very few people will wait longer. 

It very likely isnt going to be anything to worry about simply because most lumps aren’t, if you are going to a one stop breast clinic you will be given a physical examination then a mammogram and ultrasound but due to your age they may not do a mammogram, younger breast tissue is dense and often nothing will show up. 

If after all these checks they still have any concerns or simply cannot tell you what the lump is they will most likely do a biopsy which will be a week or so wait for the results. 

Ask them to explain everything that they are doing and why they are doing it ,  and if you don’t understand then ask them again, don’t be afraid to speak up, it can feel really overwhelming so it’s a good idea to have someone with you.

The worst thing is to come away with a head full of unanswered questions.

DR google is not your friend and will only fuel your anxiety so give him a wide berth! 

Hope all goes well Xx Jo 

Thanks Jo, like you said I know 9 times out of 10 it’s nothing to worry about but I think I need to really keep this in mind and stop worrying. I really appreciate your help and thanks for replying x