Are silicone implants more comfortable?

I had a tissue expander inserted in Jan this year and at some point I will have a breast reduction on the other boob.I was wondering wether to ask to have the tissue expander replaced with a silicone implant. As I sleep on my front I find it a bit like lying on a tennis ball! Has anyone had their tissue expander replaced witha silicone implant and does it feel any softer?

Jane

Hi jane,

I would also like to know the answer to this question. I have an expander fitted, and am waiting for a swop to a silicone one. I have heard they are softer. I used to always sleep on my stomach, but have not attempted to since my recon last oct, i,m frightened of bursting something!!!
Hope you get some replies soon.
Rosie x

Hi Jane and Rosie

I’ll let you know soon, as I have to have my saline implant removed and replaced with silicone on 3 August. In the meantime I’d also like to know the answer.

Love to both

Dilys
xxxxx

Hi
I had an expander initially, then have had it replaced with smaller gel implant twice since- my expander was over-inflated, so the gel one that replaced it did feel a bit softer, and more comfortable. The one I have now, which is quite a bit smaller, is reasonably soft for an implant-but not like tissue, it is still pretty firm.
C x

Hiya - another one here with no answer but the same question - so would really appreciate any responses. additional question - how long is it left over inflated, before the change over? and by how much is it over inflated? Mine is still 50mls off of the amount the surgeon first said and its become so painful i couldn’t stand another inflation at the moment.

Many thanks

Lynn

Hi
Lynne, mine was left over inflated for about 6 or 7 months. It was filled as much as possible prior to planning for rads-after which it wasn’t allowed to change-then 5 weeks of rads, then replaced 4 months after that.
I would say that if I was having it again, I would be a bit cautious about how much I had it over-filled. I wanted it filled as much as possible, so that I was not too many cup sizes smaller when they replaced it, and I did walk around with one really huge round breast (dubbed 'Phil Mitchell’by my friend)which was quite uncomfortable, for 7 months. My skin was very thin after all that stretching and rads on top, and I did have problems when I tried to get a nipple done, and have ended up with a much smaller one now anyway!
Hope of some use
C x

Hi, we seem to be queueing up for an answer to this one. I had a 'permanent’tissue expander put in and it is now fully inflated. However, it has slipped and is now sitting very low which makes me very wonky and darned uncomfortable with the bra band sitting on it. I’m due to have a smaller silicone implant put in end of August or beginning of September. I’m not entirely unhappy with the implant I have at the moment because it does feel quite natural and breast like. I am worried I am going to end up with something hard and immoveable.
Like everyone else, I would love to know how other people have found them.
Val

Hi All

Worry not. I will tell you how it goes on 3 August. Looking back I think I would not have bothered with an implant. Seemed the best way to go at the time (2007 for me). But could do without further surgery right now.

Love and strength

Dilys
xxxxx

Hi all
Realised I didn’t say that the gel ones I have had the expander replaced with are the silicone ones- they have been softer than the expander, but still firm and I still don’t sleep on my front!
All the best
C x

Dear All,
Many thanks for your replies, I have just been away at scout family camp all weekend. Ready to flake and sleep!! Would be keen to hear anybody elses experiences. Good luck to all having surgery soon.

Jane

Hi All,

i had an expander with implant put in over the top (is this the usual way ?) last sept, lymph nodes out in oct, rad in jan. i’ve asked my surgeon about taking out the expander and putting in just an implant, as i find the recon v hard and uncomfortable. he didn’t think this would help. but by the sounds of alot of other posts here it’s quite common to have that done ?

also i still have the port in, which again i find uncomfortable, but he says to leave it incase i ever want to change the volume (which i can’t see happening). anyone else got this problem ?

I realise it’s not long since, but i still have alot of soreness around the side of my recon. anyone else ?

Erika xx

Hi Erika
As you can see from my other post, mine was slightly different in that the expander was completely replaced, so the port was eventually removed. I know they told me they do leave them in sometimes. Like you I found it uncomfortable and managed with it for 7 months because I knew it would be removed. Mine stayed the same throughout those months, and I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to keep it any longer! Hope of some use.
C x

Hi All
I had an expander implant inserted 3 weeks ago as a delayed reconstruction following a mastectomy and axilliary clearance 4 years ago. I delayed reconstruction until I had finished chemo and radiotherapy and had recovered well. 18 months ago I started a series of autologus fat transfers to the site of the excised breast which prepared the skin for the expander implant. This allowed the skin to stretch easily on insertion of the expander which was inflated almost fully on insertion. The implant gives me no trouble at all but the port is extremely uncomfortable, sometimes excrutiating. Feels like it may be pressing on a nerve. I was told that it could be left in if necessary but with this level of discomfort I would like it removed at the earliest opportunity. (Of course would prefer no more procedures but this discomfort/pain is hard to tolerate especially at night). The overall feel of the implant is firm but not tight and the shape and volume are a great improvement as I am fairly slim and looked quite skeletal without breast tissue.
Hope this is useful to you all.
Tricia

Hi Tricia and all

Well I am on for tomorrow for the silicone replacement of my Beckers implant. Have to be there at 7am as usual. Wish me luck and I will of course tell you how it went.

Much love

Dilys
xxxxx

Good luck tomorrow, Dilys. All I can say is that I have had 2 LD flaps, both with silicon implants, and they feel absolutely natural and certainly not uncomfortable (I don’t sleep on my front as it happens, but I could). Perky, though! x

Thanks so much Bubs1955

Really appreciate your good wishes. And no, I have never slept on my front either! Nor do I want to really. My husband manages it somehow…

So glad your surgery went well and thanks again.

Dilys
xxxxx

Dear All

Can’t quite tell you yet as I am still a bit sore from the surgery and removal of the port. Bulletin comes later girls! OH quite useless at all this.

Love

Dilys
xxxxx

Glad to hear you’re up and fighting, Dilys. However you are feeling now, it is only temporary and all will be well. Nothing lasts forever.

Looking forward to your next progress bulletin.

Bubs x

Hi Bubs and all

Changed the dressings this morning and am feeling much better. I think this is going to be good! I will let you all know when I have seen the surgeon again on Monday. Mind you, he is, and always has been, keen to lift the right boob. I have resisted but might give way if this new silicone one looks the business. Who knows?

Anyway my natural optimism is back and ruling!

Love to all

Dilys
xxxxx

Thanks for the update - sounding good. Please continue to let us know.

Cheers

Lynn