Are Turkish baths, Steam Rooms and Sauna safe?

Hi, I would really appreciate your advice. I finished my treatment (lumpectomy, chemo and radio) 4 weeks ago and I don’t have BCN at the moment. Can I resume going to Turkish baths, Steam Rooms and/or Saunas? My breast is “tanned”/darker and sensitive but it doesn’t feel sore and the skin didn’t break down

Thanks in advance,

Maria

1 Like

Hello

I’m over a year down the line but haven’t been sure about doing some things that I used to do - I’ve only been to a sauna a handful of times but I’m actually booked for a beach sauna in UK in December .
Obviously I’m at a different stage to Maria and I don’t want to hijack her question :joy: but would you be able to let me know if there’s anything I need to be aware of / wary of even though I’m fully healed and have full movement / no swelling / not on any treatment ?

Thank you
Joanne

I was told not to use sauna or steam room due to risk of lymphoedema- I did have lymph clearance on affected side, as this was before sentinel node dye was available where I live.

2 Likes

Hi @Kindensurprise

Hmm… I booked it and only afterwards thought that maybe it might not be a good idea.
I forgot to put in my post that I had lumpectomy one SNB and radiotherapy - maybe my risk would be less than yours .It will be interesting to hear if the Nurses have any more info .

Thank you for your reply
Joanne

Hi Guida,

Thanks for your post on whether it’s safe to use Turkish baths, steam rooms and saunas after breast cancer treatment.

After any wounds have been healed and your immune system has recovered from chemotherapy, the main risk that is often talked about, as @Kindensurprise mentions, is of lymphoedema. However, the evidence behind this is limited and your level of risk would depend on factors like what lymph node surgery you have had, or if you currently have signs of lymphoedema already. You may find the Lymphoedema Support Network website has some helpful information. @JoanneN, you may find this helpful as well.

You may be interested in our information about massage therapy. The Safe Hands website also lists spa destinations where the therapists are trained to treat people who have had cancer treatments.

Although you mention that you don’t have a breast care nurse at the moment, you can talk to your treatment team about any therapy you are thinking about having. They can advise based on your individual situation.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Tiggy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread