Arimadex and difficulty walking

I have been on Arimidex for a year. I am feeling worse by the day. My legs are stiff and I have difficulty walking. My oncologist says it is the side effects of Arimidex.

I wonder how long I shall have these effects - because they are getting worse. I have 4 more years to go.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Christiane

Hi Christiane - so sympathise with you as I have been on Arimidex for 3 years now. When I get up in the morning I can barely walk and feel like 90 yrs old …it gets better as the day wears on, but… if I am on my feet for a couple of hours my heels hurt so bad I just want to crawl under the duvet., which I often do.

I haven’t really talked to any docs about this as I was discharged by my Onc after finishing chemo and rads in 2003. I do still see my bc surgeon annually for a review, but didn’t think about asking him of Arimidex side effects, as it is not his field of medicine. I was dx with arthritis of both feet,hips and hands about 2 yrs ago, after a bone scan, so put the problems down to that. I also had a recent DEXA bone density scan and this showed significant thinning of my bones, primarily caused by some 30 yrs of steroids for Crohn’s, but exacerbated by Arimidex, which does not protect the bones as Tamoxifen does. My bc surgeon wrote to my GP and I am now on Alendronic Acid once a week, plus Calcichew/VitD twice daily, to help build up my bones. I do wonder what is going to happen after the 5 years on Arimidex…how will we be protected against a recurrence then?
Sorry I don’t have any answers for you, but Arimidex is fairly new and I guess even the doctors don’t know what the long term effects are.
Take care,
Liz.