Arimidex and glucosomine

I am having forty fits here!!

I have been on Arimidex for over 2 years. I have been taking glucosomine for my aches and pains for about 2 years. I have just been told by a friend who is also on Arimidex that I should not be taking Glocosomine.

I am sure my GP said it was OK to take them but I cannot be sure of this because my brain has gone too!

Does anyone reading this have any info, please? I would be very grateful of any comments. Thanks.

Christiane x

Hi christiane

Whilst you wait for the other forums users to reply with their experience and support please give the BCC helpline a call. Here you can talk through your questions with a trained member of staff who can offer you support and information. The number is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam (BCC Facilitator)

My onc told me i could take them - i am on Femara. He did say they might not be strong enough to work though.

I asked my Breast Cancer Nurse about taking Glucosomine and Arimidex. She did not know the answer either but found the following out from the Oncologist and Pharmacy deptartment at the hospital.

She said they could not say to me not to take them but if I needed chemotherapy they could have an adverse affect on the cancer cells. (Also, if I needed Warfarin in the future)

Needless to say I am not going to take them any more! Nor my husband, as he is on Warfarin!!

I am posting this just in case it helps anyone here.

Christiane x

This seems to be another example of us being told different things.
I was actually told to take glucosamine by my oncologist to counter the effects of Arimidex. This was after finishing chemo. I didn’t find it helped so stopped taking it after a while. I was on Clexane for blood thinning like Warfarin, at the time as well.

Anne

Dont know if i am misunderstanding but Christiane seems to be saying you cant have them if you are taking chemo or about to start it. They say you shouldnt have other supplements while on chemo including vit c. But if your treatment is finished and you are on one of the AI then sounds like its ok.
I cant take it because i am allergic to crab so have started taking trong cod liver oil.

Yes, Pineapple, my Breast Cancer Nurse said that the pharmacy at the hospital had read all the small print and said that Glucosomine could affect the cancer cells if I had to be treated with chemotherapy. As I have found another lump and waiting for this to be investigated, if cancer is diagnosed, which I hope not, I do not know at this stage about chemo.

One never knows what is round the corner and if chemo is necessary. I try to be, as the cliche says , ‘positive’ - but there are times I have to be a ‘realist’.

My GP said it was alright to take Glucosomine but at the moment I am listening to my Breast Cancer Nurse and the hospital where I am being treated.

Christiane x