arimidex blues: to stop or not to stop...

Hello I posted in another thread but not sure it’s still been used so thought I would start a new one, I have for the last. 4 years and 7 months been on arimidex and aromasin as a I had to keep switching when the se’s got so bad. This year I’ve felt the side effects were becoming more intense as the ingredients reach saturation point in my blood. I had a rarer side effect of recurrent sinus infections which I needed two courseslog antibiotics for this time around. It seems to me the arimidex dries out every single tissue lining!! Causing havoc. Anyway I switched to aromasin for three weeks to give myself a break from arimidex whilst fighting the infection and a week ago went back on to arimidex!! Oh dear. I have never experienced blues like it. I am crying all the time and feel as if I can’tcope with the slightest thing going wrong, I am irritable all the time and not very pleasant to live with. Have convinced myself i have cancer in the brain as i feel so all over the place. The blues are really bad this time and I’m feeling like its all pointless. My question now is, do I give up the arimidex? I am worn down with it yet still scared a little to give it up. Similarly I think the stress of it all can’t help either so think it would be in my body’s best interests to callits a day and continue to exercise and eat healthily and do all Ican to stay well. What would you do, anyone? I know my onc will just say "well it’s your decision, the drug wasa only tested over 5 years so we can’t advise you to stop’ but I think if I didget a recurrence I can’t imagine it wouldn’t have happened if I have stayEd on the drug another 5 months do you?? I am driving myself crazy here as you can tell! Think I’m going to give it up! After all 4yr 7 months is some going and it must have done some good. Btw my dx was in 2007 lumpectomy 1.5cm tumour wide local excision 1 lymph node, 6 chemo, rads, 5 lots of herceptin (but my heart got damaged) cuddly toy(!) and an oophrectomy (ovaries removed!). Any advice at all would be appreciated. Hope you are all having one of those good days ! Carrie

Hi Carrie

While you are waiting for other forum members to come along and offer support, you could also give our Helpline a call to talk things over. They will give you lots of information and support. They will be open at 9 tomorrow. (9-5 weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays). The number is 0808 800 6000. All calls are free and confidential.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

ooh hugs carrie, im only 15 months in on Anastrozole, and get aches/pains. flushes and worst of all, my hair has never recovered from Chemo, and the AI is not helping! I look like a balding man !
I am seeing my ONC again in January to discuss changing drugs, but, to be honest, I am hoping they will say “we got rid of all cancer cells in chemo/surgery you can stop if you want” Vain hope maybe?
Cant give you advice Carrie, you’re further down the road than me, but can send virtual (((((HUGS))))))

Quality of life must be taken into account which is what you are doing now, thinking what to do next. You have really given thd Arimidex a good chance of working after nearly 5 years , if you feel like I did when I was on Tamoxifen then you will naurally want to stop but I would encourage you to carry on regardless. I went to the GP and got myself some anti depressants as I wanted to carry on with the Tamoxifen to help me beat the cancer, but I just wanted to feel normal. You have to find a new normal and one that you are happy with. Take good care of yourself. Love Tracy xxx

I AM 6 MONTHS ON ANASTROZOLE AND LAST NIGHT I DID NOT TAKE MY TABLET,I WAS JUST SICK OF FEELING ILL AND PAIN IN MY LEGS AND HANDS,CARRIE SAID THAT SHE TOOK AROMASIN AND FELT BETTER ,WHAT IS THE DIFFERENT BETWEEN THESE DRUGS ,DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I HAVE A BRECK FOR A FEW DAYS FROM ANASTROZOLE WILL IT HURT,I KNOW I NEED TO TALK TO THE DOCTOR,BUT I AM SAT HERE WITH THIS DRUG IN FRONT OF ME AND I DONT WANT TO FEEL ILL ANY MORE BUT I ALSO KNOW IT IS SAVEING MY LIFE.