Arm discomfort at night.

Hi Everyone,

I had WLE and nodes removed June 07, Then Chemo and rads finished Feb 08. I have been ok since. Did exercises and gained almost 100 pc movement in left arm. I noticed a little swelling on top of my arm about Christmas time and I have possibly a little Lympho under my arm but didnt cause me any probs.

Recently though I am increasingly uncomfortable in bed ,my arm aches and i feel as if it is totally in the way and keeping me awake together with the odd hot flush here and there. I try and prop it up with cushions but havent noticed if its helped. Can anyone suggest anything.

lots of love Andrea xx

Hi Andrea

I would ring your bc nurse and ask for referal to lymphoedema clinic. It may or may not be lympoedema but if it is the quicker you get treatment the better.

Take care xxx

Hi Andrea

I agree with Lynni, you must get a referral to the lympho clinic because you may have it and need to be fitted for a pressure sleeve.

I have it and do experience aches in it at various times, and it does feel as if it’s in the way when I’m lying down on the side affected.

Cecelia. x

Hi Andrea

I agree with Lynni and Cecelia; I think you should push for a referral asap.

I think it’s also a good idea not to sleep on the affected side - if you can - not always easy if it’s the side you prefer.

I’ve found supporting the elbow well to help more than anything.

X

S

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. If it is lymphoedema what is the treatment? I didnt know it could be treated.
Best wishes to you.
love Andrea xx

Hi Andrea

I have Manual Lymphatic Drainage, a very gentle massage to get the fluid moving to the other side where the lymph nodes are working properly.

There are exercises you can do too, you can get a DVD from Breast Cancer Haven.

And I wear my pressure sleeve when it’s particularly bad but it’s never too bad.

Just avoid carrying heavy things etc. If you get referred to the lymphoedema clinic they will give you all instructions if it’s found that you have it. Hopefully it won’t be!

Cecelia. x

Hi again, Andrea

In addition to Cecilia’s excellent info’, there is also something called Kinesio taping which can also be used.

If it is lymphoedema (and we’re all hoping it isn’t), incurable doesn’t mean untreatable. And another organisation where you can get advice, etc is the LSN (Lymphoedema Support NetworK) www.lymphoedema.org/lsn

Let us know how you get on.

X

S