Armpit Lump - Help Very Scared

Hi there,

I am 36 and have discovered a lump about 2cm diameter at the bottom of my left armpit just under the hairline.

I have fairly lumpy muscle tissue all over (pea sized bumps everywhere) so hadnt really noticed an actual lump before until I actually checked myself after watching embarrassing bodies last week!

The lump is tender when I poke at it and I have a dull ache afterwards. It is hard and seems to be attached. It is smoothish like a ball.

I am a very very anxious person with medical stuff (faint and shake all over for bloodtests!). I have been googling and everywhere seems to point to breast cancer. My breasts are generally dense and lump and always have been so I cant tell if there is a problem there.

Any advice at all would be very appreciated. thanks

Hi Fizzy

Us ladies in the ‘waiting room’ can’t give you medical advice but can certainly tell you we know exactly how you feel! Apparently 9 out of 10 lumps are benign.

Have you been to your GP yet? If not make an appointment tomorrow and ask for referral to your local breast clinic.

You have to have an appointment within two weeks (government guidelines)so don’t panic if you feel they have rushed you through!

‘Googling’ is not advised on this site and I can understand why! it will drive you mad! Stick here and we can all look after each other :slight_smile:

have my breast clinic appt tomorrow and consumed with worry. But wine is helping :slight_smile:

Take care and keep posting xx

OK - I think you are talking about lymph nodes and they are supposed to swell up if you get an infection! That means they are working…insist on answers until YOU are satisfied…and try not to worry

Hi Fizzywizzy,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, who I am sure will be along shortly, like honeypot, to give you that support you need at this time.

While you are waiting I have put for you below the link to 1 of BCC’s publications you might find helpful.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-bcc70

Also, if you would like to talk to someone in confidence then our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2.

Here’s also the link to the area of this website you might like to read:
breastcancercare.org.uk/worried

I hope this helps. Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Hi Honeypot,
This was the first time I have ever posted on a forum so I was a bit surprised anyone responded! Thank you so much.

I know and feel this sickening fright and dread of waiting. This time tomorrow night the waiting will be over for you and I have everything crossed that it is all good. The 1 in 10 odds are good – they will keep me going for now anyway. Please do let us know it was all ok.

I did book a GP appointment for last Thursday – cancelled as I am a wimp! Booked again for yesterday and cancelled again – a very big wimp!! I just went to the online booking after reading your post and booked again for Tuesday. I will keep this one and ask for that referral:) Thank you.

I am going to join you in a glass or 4 of wine now – does take the edge off!

Keep in touch and good luck for tomorrow. Hugs :slight_smile:

Hello pet
now you MUST get to your GP asap, and you will get a referral to a breast clinic within 2 weeks - that is the target so you musn’t worry because your appt comes up fast. And please do remember that the appt is to RULE OUT something serious,not because your GP thinks you may have breast cancer.
If you DO get a BC diagnosois, be confident that your clinic will do wonderful things for you, albeit taking a long time, and that you will get lots of support from this website. We’ve all been on this awful journey and we do support each other every step of the way.

grumpy

Thanks Sascha. I hope you are right but a lump in the armpit is also a key warning sign of breast cancer – something to do with the lymph compensating for poor drainage in the breast I think). I do hope it is just some sort of infection.

Thanks Jo for the links. I am going to look through them now. This site is absolutely amazing – your posts have really helped me tonight and I wasn’t expecting anything at all. Thank you so much.

F xx

Hi grumpy,

You don’t sound grumpy at all! You sound great. Thank you so much for your support. I will finally keep that GP appointment.

I feel like a big baby for being this afraid to go to my GP before anything even happens. I am a generally anxious person and have always had a severe case of the white coat syndrome – all doctors freak me out! It does help just saying I have a lump out loud on here.

Take care
Fx

Glad you made that appointment fizzywizzy. Promise us you WILL GO this time!

Funnily enough I was totally calm going to GP’s. Found lump on tuesday and went straight to online booking for next morning. I love online booking - no fussy receptionist!!

I will definately come back tomorrow.

Only been on this site a few days, but its the most friendly, welcoming forum I have ever been on.
Guess its because we are all walking in the same shoes (not too high! Can’t ‘do’ high heels lol!)