Avoiding Oestrogen

Avoiding Oestrogen

Avoiding Oestrogen I am really poor when it comes to diet - what simple guidance can you give to avoiding foods that contain or stimulate the hormone oestrogen?

Thanks

Hopexx

Hope lots of foods contain phyto oestrogens. There is inconclusive debate about whether these are good/bad for br ca ladies. Try googling POs and see what you can make of it! But recently there was a report that soy was definitely better given a miss.
There is similar debate over dairy [many online sites of the milk will kill/cure persuasion]. Organic milk is safer [no OE from feed] and more conjugated linoleic acid [good stuff].
Endocrine upsetters called Parabens are in most cleaning and beauty products- read labels and avoid.
Trying to negotiate the good/bad for you is almost a full time occupation! Best wishes and happy reading, dilly

phytoestrogens This has a listing of those foods which contain phytoestrogens, and links to other articles on the subject.

herbalchem.net/Introductory.htm

Found this on the site: Thanks Phoebe. See this page for sources etc re; breast cancer: herbalchem.net/phytoestrogens_and_human_health.htm

Here’s some of the text:

Based on results from some in vitro and animal studies, concern has arisen that the estrogen agonist effects of isoflavones might increase the growth of breast cancer cells. Though there is still some controversy, the majority of scientific opinion seems to be coming down in favor of using phytoestrogen-containing foods for the prevention and treatment of breast cancer.

Several studies have indicated that countries with the highest phytoestrogen consumption have the lowest rates of breast cancer, but other epidemiological studies suggest the lack of a causative relationship. No studies, however, have found an increased risk of breast cancer with increased soy consumption. A recent epidemiological study involving 2,983 women found no association between the average American dietary intake of phytoestrogens (equivalent to less than one serving of tofu/week) and breast cancer risk.

Many in vitro experiments detected anti-cancer effects from phytoestrogens at high concentrations (but mild stimulatory effects at lower concentrations). Animal studies have noted both cancer-inhibitory and cancer-promoting effects. Several reports have indicated that exposure of young rats (but not adult rats) to genistein results in a large reduction in mammary cancer later in life. One human study found a similar protective pattern for women who ate tofu as teenagers.

Evidence in favor of phytoestrogens indicates that isoflavones (and the antiestrogenic drug tamoxifen) can decrease the density of breast tissue in post-menopausal women; increased density is associated with increased cancer risk, and conventional HRT increases density. Concerning the concurrent use of isoflavones and Tamoxifen, in vitro data shows mixed results, but one animal study has indicated that soy products may increase the benefits of the drug.

There is also evidence that isoflavones and lignans may exert anti-cancer effects through other mechanisms, independent of their interactions with estrogen receptors. For example, isoflavones at physiological concentrations have been found to inhibit an enzyme which catalyzes the transformation of the weaker estrogen, estrone, into the more cancer-promoting estradiol.42 Another study found that phytoestrogens inhibit a second enzyme important in steroid biosynthesis. Isoflavones also exhibit some antioxidant activity, which may contribute to cancer prevention. Finally, several studies quoted in Messina and Loprinzi report that phytoestrogens have anti-angiogenesis effects, discouraging the growth of new blood vessels that tumors need for survival.

For a thorough and well-balanced review of the phytoestrogen-breast cancer literature, see Soy for Breast Cancer Survivors: A Critical Review of the Literature. The authors examine both positive and negative findings and conclude: “the honest response to each of these diametrically opposed claims [soy is beneficial vs. soy is harmful] is that no convincing data exist to support either claim. In fact, there are strongly conflicting data regarding both. As such, if women (with or without breast cancer) enjoy partaking of soy products, then it seems quite reasonable for them to partake of them…moderation in intake is probably wise.”

There is a lot more about BC there too.

phto oestrogens I asked my oncologist about phyto oestrogens as i found the literature confusing. As my cancer was oestrogen and progesterone receptor + he advised me to avoid phyto oestrogensas they mimic the aciton of nautral oestrogen. As my treatment invovles stopping my ovaries from working (to knock out my hormones0 it makes sens not to absorb oestrogen via my diet. I’m looking at other sources other than diet. My onc said that phyto oestrogens are possibly storing up a lot of problems for the future but that we are seeing some of these problems now-- an increase in certain types of disease, male fertility and sexual problems, etc.

Certainly has made me more careful about my diet and the type of cleaning products, etc that I use.

Geraldine

aahhh info overload hi girls

have been reading this thread with interest and - now - fear.

all my tumors were OE’ receptive and cos of this im havin an hysterectomy next yr

i know this wont solve the problem but, this whole oestrogen stuff scares the hell otta me

i dont eat read meat, i eat white, as for dairy i only have it in my brekky in morinin n in 2 brews in day. i dont like yoghurts and eat cheese when im in mood (not often)

please advise

thanks adele xxx

Geraldine, in your case go for organic dairy and not too much of it whilst you think about the rest of PhyOes- very confusing topic. Best wishes, dilly

adele it sounds as if you’ve got it as right as anybody can in this uncertain dept. AFTER your hysterectomy you’ll need more calcium so up the organic dairy then. Best wishes dilly

Argh!! Moderator please I can’t see the right hand side of the posts and I was particularly interested in the very detailed post by Tigerlily so it is very annoying to have to guess what the end of every line is!

This happens far too frequently, is it just to me!!? Can anything be done about this?

Regards

Blondie

Hi Blondie I am unsure why this is happening or if there is anything we can do. I will pass this on to the technical department to see whether it can be corrected.

Kind regards

On-line Host
Breast cancer care

It seems to happen when someone posts a string of characters that is longer than the preset line available, like a long web address.

Disappearing lines In answer to your question about disappearing lines. Our apologies for this. It is a glitch in the system which we are working to rectify.

It happens if someone posts a long link earlier in the thread. Everything below that post is then thrown out of line along with it.

You can see the whole post if you click in the message and use the cursor keys or mouse, they can scroll sideways to see the rest of the message.

I know this is not ideal and we will try to put this right as quickly as possible.

Best wishes

Breast Cancer Care

Hi
i am also very interested in this debate re phytoestrogen also the amount of hormones present in dairy. it does all seem v confusing. have been given jane plant book but still cannot decide which to go with. have definately cut down on dairy and not eating beef but not sure if should replace entirely with soya products, there are alternatives like coconut milk but not sure about calcium and risk of osteoporisis etc - will be using some of the suggested links to see if they shed some light, but think you need to be a medical expert to unravel this and even they don’t agree

Elaine B x

Elaine B before you put your faith in Jane Plant remember her biochemistry and yours are not identical and that her cancer probably differs from yours too.
Soya is currently the object of suspicion- google and check for yourself.
You can take a calcium supplement- pears are surprisingly calc rich.
If you’re in a hard water area drink it without boiling [tea no good because calc gets left in kettle].
Suspect it would take the entire NHS lab force to identfy 1 person’s biochemistry so little hope of ever knowing what yours/mine is and anyway we’d need a degree course to be able to understand it if we had the report.
Best thing to do is notice what makes you feel good/better and eat/ake it. What makes you feel worse/off colour- avoid.
Best wishes for trial and error living, dilly

hi dilly
thanks for advice agree jane plant does seem very drastic - have gone organic dairy as there seems to be less added hormones but think you could drive yourself mad with all the research!!
love elaine b x