Awaiting biopsy results, but told to expect bad news

I am sure it was a hard thing to hear, but well done you in asking such a great question. I think that your radiographer gave advice based on his experience of examining many patients.

Back in 2020 I went for a mammogram and US on a lump and had a biopsy then. After the biopsy I met one of the breast care nurses and she told me that it was definitely “something”. This gave me chance to talk to my husband and mentally prepare myself for what might be discussed at my follow up appointment.

Wishing you all the best going forward.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s really kind. God I hope my results are ready for today’s MDT meeting. I’m not sure I can cope with another week’s wait…….x

Thank you, I hope all is well with you post treatment. X

Thanks, I hope you are doing well and thanks for the positivity around the surgery experience! X

1 Like

Its horrible isnt it, they cancelled same day as appointment, to be honest its better for me really as had a ct scan saturday so at least they will have everything for me tomorrow, please leat me know how you get on fingers crossed for you xx

They are very experienced in knowing what cancer looks like versus other types of lump. Mine tackled the same issue similarly by saying he was fairly sure it was cancer, that occasionally other things could look the same but that I should expect a cancer diagnosis. Whilst a shock at the time, it helped when it came to the results meeting. I was prepared and had used the time to understand a bit more about the different types of breast cancer and how they were treated. It’s all horrible but it does become easier once you have a plan and start treatment.

Yes I was told at second screening by a BCN after all the investigations including biopsy had been done that it was most probably a tiny cancer and when I asked about treatment she said lumpectomy and radiotherapy . Due to my age and appearance of the tumour etc. I think they were also suspecting ER+ which indeed it turned out to be so hormone therapy was also discussed.
She did say I apologize in advance if it turns out to be one of the many rare benign breast conditions out there but from it’s appearance it looks worrying - I think that’s virtually word for word.

I’m not surprised your mind went blank - I think you did very well asking the question about his wife . I will have to remember that in case I need it for the future .

So sorry that you find yourself here - the waiting for results is pretty awful - some of us think it’s the worst part of the process .

Sending love xx

You are exactly right. I think in the long run his approach has really helped prepare me for the next meeting. I really hope all is going well for you and thanks for replying x

Thanks for your reply and I hope everything is going well for you. I agree, I am almost positive that the waiting will be the worst (I am sure there is more to come) but forums like this have been a massive help. X

2 Likes

Hi @kellzh

Sorry that you find yourself here. From experience this is the worst time waiting for results. They won’t know 100% at US with biopsy, but with experience they will know what things look and feel like.

In my case the radiographer commented on how tough it was to biopsy, implying a solid mass rather than a cyst with fluid.

Here’s some links that may be helpful, the wonderful BCN nurses are there for you, even if you just want to chat.

• Website: You can register for our services. Or find our publications, more information and support or how to volunteer. It’s all here.
  • Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.
  • Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer.
  • Someone Like Me: Will match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll be a phone call or email away to answer your questions, offer support, or simply listen. Call on 0800 138 6551 or contact our email volunteers
  • Younger Women Together: For people 45 and under. You can choose the support that suits you: online, one day or 2 day residential events. Find an event.
  • Moving Forward: Finishing treatment can be hard, and it can be difficult to move forward with your life. You can access our support online or face-to-face. Our online information hub and Moving Forward journal provide extra ideas and information. Courses run over 2 weeks, with 2 3.5hr sessions. Or trained facilitators and volunteers are there to help. Find a course near you.
  • Publications: Download and order publications. You can read online or order your copy for free. From managing menopausal symptoms, hormone treatment or triple negative breast cancer, our information is here for you.
  • BECCA: Our free app is your pocket companion to primary breast cancer.
  • Speaker Live: sessions are on every month. They focus on the topics that matter to you, lead by expert speakers from across the UK. You can register for one of our webinars, and watch it live, or as a recording. We also have Facebook and Instagram Live sessions run by our clinical team on a huge range of topics. You can find them all on YouTube
  • Secondary breast cancer is full of uncertainties. But you can count onLiving with Secondary Breast Cancer to be there for you, no matter what. You’ll be able to talk, listen and learn with people who understand the challenges that secondary breast cancer brings. Our groups are open to people with a secondary diagnosis. Monthly sessions, facilitated by a therapist, are held in a variety of locations across the UK and online. Find a group. And if you are 45 or under? Our Younger Women with Secondaries Together events provide information and support
  • LiveChat: Open to people with a secondary diagnosis. A private chat room where you can talk to others in a similar situation.
  • Access Fund – all our events are free, but if you need help getting there or accessing our services, let us know. Email us at accessfund@breastcancernow.org or call 0345 077 1893.

Will be thinking of you, let us know how you get on. This is a really supportive community.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Pretty much sounds like what happened to me . I was on my own too. I was so shocked and was in a right state - I came to this forum and got lots of encouraging support which made me feel better and the ladies here were right- once I got a definite confirmed diagnosis and a treatment plan it was a relief .but the initial consultant was correct in what he saw on ultrasound and mammagram xx

1 Like

Hello I am sorry to hear you are waiting for news. It can be stressful. I have just been through the exact same situation. A likely cyst was triple negative breast cancer. At the clinic when I was called for more tests I was given an indication it wasn’t an ideal situation but they team used very vague language and quite rightly as they didn’t have the full results. I’m two weeks into my diagnosis and hopefully starting chemo and immunotherapy next week or week after.
I’m waiting my CT results and need another lymph biopsy which are causing me the most anxiety. Not knowing if it is contained.
Whatever your results well done for finding it and getting checked out. I found that telling myself nothing is certain until you have the facts, helps manage my outlook.
I send you my very best wishes.

1 Like

Hi @loobyloo1

I’m so sorry to hear your diagnosis and that you have joined the group no one wants to belong to.

The forum is so wonderful.

There is a monthly chemo starters group which I found really helpful. If you would like to join this is the link to June 2024

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi kellzh how did your appointment go ? Mine is invasive ductal stage 2/3 grade 3 its gone to 5 lymph nodes also , ive opted for a mastectomy and chemo after , if her2 results come back positive then it might be chemo first, my op is booked for 22 july, sending love xx

1 Like

Hi Julesjp

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis and sending you my very best wishes. Hopefully you’ll at least feel that you now have a plan in place, and can take some positive action. Thanks for thinking of me. My appointment got pushed to this coming Friday, however my work health insurance has just kicked in so I have an appointment with a private consultant on Weds morning - just need to get my results emailed over to him in time! I still have my Friday appointment so hopefully it will be Friday at the latest, ether way. X

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. My first results results appointment was cancelled also, but luckily i had a ct scan and most results were back together , just waiting on her2 results. Ive kept so positive but thats me anyhow positivity overload its all my loved ones crumbling but we all have this and we will kick cancers butt xx

So sorry to hear you diagnosis @julesjp

It might be helpful to join the monthly chemo starters group, link above when you start chemo. There is a new one each month, just search for it. I think it helpful to read some of the previous month’s to get a feel for what you’re getting into to. Some might not like to know.

Thinking of you🥰

1 Like

Thank you i will have a look, i like to know everything from different views x

1 Like

Hi I had a very bad experience at my first appointment was given mammogram ultrasound and then told I had two areas needed biopsies with a local anaesthetic and then told in a very cold and clinical way these were suspicious and biopsy results would confirm in 2 weeks. Asked did I have any questions no. I just wanted to go home because I hadn’t expected that and also felt I lacked abit of sympathy from either consultant or the nurse who was with me in the room. Harsh. My follow up was completely different. The most caring and compassionate way to tell me I’d got invasive ductal cancer in my breast and getting to know my nurse and my consultant and a treatment plan forward. But I do question the lack of empathy at that first appointment is wrong

1 Like

I’m so sorry you were treated this way.

Is there anybody who can advocates for you and complain to the hospital? I know it is tough for you to do this but many a family member can act on your behalf with your permission. Staff will never learn if they are not told.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, everyone can have a bad day and you never know what is going on in their life. But then you need to be treated with respect and empathy in these situations.

I had to complain to my cancer centre towards the end of my chemotherapy, it was hard. I had my husband’s support but it was still hard but I wanted to make it better for those that come after me so it doesn’t happen again.

I wish you well with your treatment.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: