awaiting oncologist appointment

Hello forum, I had lump and node biopsied 4 weeks ago, surgical consultant confirmed BC 3 weeks ago, and several scans later I am still waiting on “diagnosis and treatment plan”.  My BCN told me I am HER2+ and they are checking for secondary spread in my bones and liver.  Yesterday, after MRI, I got home to a letter confirming consultation with oncologist in 2 weeks. I had to call his office and then BCN to ascertain that this would be to initiate chemo and herceptin treatment.  I’m really angry that I have had to arrange a meeting at Breast Clinic myself, to finally get my diagnosis.  The waiting and tests is almost unbearable.  My bone scan result (9 days ago) is still “in the system somewhere, there’s a backlog”, and literally the day that these potential secondary areas were highlighted I started to feel pain, when I was fine before.  So, here’s my questions (finally…);  has anyone else had to wait so long for diagnosis (for spread)?  Can I take paracetamol related drugs if there’s a potential problem with my liver?  And lastly, being HER2+, are these (apparent) delays affecting my treatment potential??  Thanks for any advice/comments

Hi Sod6162

I’m sorry to read you’re having a tough time at the moment.  Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experience do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can talk things through with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

I waited about 6 weeks between biopsy and treatment. Had various scans in between. My cancer is advanced and aggressive but consultant said a few weeks delay wouldn’t affect anything and it was better for them to do all scans they needed to beforehand to see if treatment plan they had in mind was the right one/ to be able to have markers / determine how effective the treatment was. Not nice waiting though and luckily I only had approx one week wait between scans and results (though CT was delayed by 5 days as machine had broken!) One week wait was bad enough so can understand your anxiety / frustration.