awaiting referral appointment

Hi guys,
im new here, so will outline the bit about me first and then what’s going on.
Im 25, and a single parent to Archie, who’s 19months! I live by myself, with very little support from friends or family!
i havapplied even accepted into college for September to study an access course, retaking my gcses and a levels, and also health and social care, psychology and sociology, which should it be successful will hopefully lead to a university place to study midwifery
i found a lump in my left breast last October, which was moveable and gave me a dull ache constantly, and shooting pains that would come and go. My doctor was fab and referred me straight to the breast clinic within a week. It’s was the worst week of my life, with not knowing what to expect etc. the staff at the breast clinic were also fab and made me feel as comfortable as they could. I had an ultrasound, by where they couldn’t really pin point what the lump was but were 100% sure that it was not breast cancer. I went away feeling so much more at ease, but they told me to keep checking it as I had done in the past, and should anything change then go back to my doctor for another referral.
the dull ache eased slightly, almost to the point of not noticing at all, but the shooting pains still came and went. Over the last few days I noticed that the lump had got noticeably bigger, and I can not be sure if it is two lumps, or just one very large one. The adult ache had returned and the shooting pains have got substantially worse.
so I called my doctor first thing, and again they were fab, and asked me to come to the surgery in 15 minutes time! she had a quick feel of my breast and said straight away that she was referring me under the urgent scheme (under 2 weeks I believe?) I was iN the surgery for all of 5 minutes. So now I just have t wait for my appointment without knowing what is really going on? Obviously I have been to the breast clinic so know Kind of what to expect, and I know people worry when they shouldn’t but its easier said than done, and I just wondered if anyone else had been in this position before or could offer any help/support/ advice?!
apologies for the long essay!!
thanks in advance
Nikki

Hi Nikki,
You are right you should be seen in under 2 weeks. When i had my appointment i had a mammogram - plus ultrasound and biospy that day.
Waiting really is the worst - but you should get seen quite quickly. Some people dont have a biopsy the same day but my hospital did.
I really hope its just a cyst or fibrous tissue. Keep is posted and hope you get on ok.
Rae
x

Hi Nikki,
I was refered as urgent and seen just within the 2 week time scale. I had ultrasound and biopsy and had to go for the results a few weeks later. I know it is very worrying and the time seems like ages, but remember that most lumps are nothing to worry about and I think GP’s refer most cases as urgent when there is a lump to be on the safe side.
Try and keep busy and let us know how you get on.
Faye

Hi,
I am going through the same. I have 2 kids (3&4 yrs old) and had a lump 10 yrs ago. I was 21 and seen by the Royal Marsden (who were fab). Its was a fibrous lump and nothing to worry about. Anyway, over the last couple of months noticed the same dull aches and shooting pains coming and going, and recently found the (new) lump.
I work FT and with the kids, barely get time for me…so went to GP yesterday who was worried and has booked me on the fast track pathway at my local hospital. (I am in the midlands now.) I am putting my brave “everything will be fine again/its just best to be sure” face on but I am petrified. Its my birthday the day before my appointment and this is going to be one to forget.
This looks like a fab place to get support from others going through this and somewhere to come and off load a few thoughts.
Hope all goes as well as we can hope for - for all of us. x

HI guys,

thankyou so much for your replies, it means a lot! I now have my appointment, for next thursday 20th, which is the day before my birthday… Not much fun :frowning:
i just don’t really know what to make of it all Really. Like you, nursemum1, I am putting on my brave face, but it is all fake!
im presuming it is another fibrous lump, but its the pain that is concerning me. It is particularly bad at night, and I am hardly sleeping (obviously the worrying adds to this!)
and, I am a self confessed ‘googler’ hence how I found this place! going by everything I have read, it would seem that it is a fibrous lump, due to my age etc, but i know it does happen to younger people, who are otherwise fit and healthy!

should it be a fibrous, which is what I’m hoping obviously, then I’m guessing it will have to be removed, due to the pain aspect of it, and it would be classed as ‘giant’ as it is almost the size of my whole breast now, which aren’t exactly on the small side, and it has grown from a small walnut size to this, since I previously went to the breast clinic in October/November.

im sorry for the rambling, and I don’t think it really makes sense…but it’s me just venting I guess!
again, thankyou so much for your replies, and nursemum1, please let me know how you get on xx

Do not apologise! Trust me - I know how you feel. I too am internet diagnosing and as i went through the same some years ago - I am hopeful that its more of the same.
Anyway, good luck with your appointment and let me know how it goes. I of course, will let you know how mine is. (And there’ll be more rants on here in between I dare say as the time gets closer.)
Does your pain come and go - or is it there all the time? I tend to get dull aches through to short sharp stabs and the occassional tingling down my left arm (its my left breast involved). But, its not continuous. There’s no real pattern to it either.
Anyway, wishing you all the best xxx

Hi,
I’m new here, was trying NOT to google stuff, but I found this, and then deliberated over whether to post or not!
I’m 33. 6yrs ago my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. She had a lumpectomy and Rediotherapy, and is now healthy and well :slight_smile:
Two weeks ago I found a lump, It was painful at first. I found it on the Friday, went to the GP on Monday, by which time the pain had gone. GP said it was 2x1cm and referred me to hospital. My appt is this Friday 14th June.
I keep wondering if the lump has gone, but I think it’s still there, and I keep getting the odd strange pain, like a muscle pain.
Im hoping its something and nothing, but naturally am worrying.
I just kinda wanted to post because you are not alone, the 20th may seem a long way away, but it will come around quick. I had a few days where I was really tearful and worried, then I was ok, and now that I am a couple of days away from my appt Im worrying again.
I hope your appt will go well, and I will post after mine.
xx

Good luck with your appointment. xx
It does feel strange posting here - seeing what others are going through, and there’s me - just waiting and wondering. I feel like i’m invading their journeys and i feel guitly for even typing this. The internet is just full of info; some useful, some not so. I guess i’ve stopped searching now and just come here - its easy to understand, informative and more importantly - it’s supportive.
I’m a nurse and have worked in oncology (albeit paeds) so am kind of aware of the practical side of things but nothing at all prepares you for the personal aspects of this. Anyway, night shift tonight so better go - housework to do!
Catch up soon, good luck ladies.
Charlotte x

Nursemum1, my pain also comes and go, but its more persistent at night. it’s pretty much as you describe it though, and mine is also the left breast. I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that it has become increasingly itchy right over and around where the lump is too. (Now, I do have an underlying condition of angiodyskinesia, where the valves in my veins don’t work correctlblood blood isn’t pumped around properly, and side effects of this are skin itchiness, and leg swelling when I am stood for long periois of times), so I’m not sure if tbaste east itching is because of my condition or the lump. It has never affected the breasts before though, mainly legs and back.
Also, nursemum1, when is your appointment?!
beccaboo, I do hope you are not worrying too much about tomorrow?! I shall be thinking of you, and hope its the news that we all want. That’s brilliant that your mum is now well and fighting fit! :slight_smile:
i tend to not think about it in the day because Archie keeps me very busy, but its times like now, when he has gone to bed, and I find myself sitting here, thinking, and over thinking, and googling everything that I have googled the day before, and the day before that! I don’t know what I think I’m going to achieve exactly, but it keeps me busy i guess??
i have got my fingers crossed for all of you guys
N
x

Hi Nikki,
My appointment is a week on monday - 24th. (Day after my birthday )
Just finished a night shift and I must admit - working is taking my mind of things…for now.
I am thinking of you all. Keep in touch,
Charlotte xx

Hi All

I did try and post last night but it dosn’t appear to be showing so hope this one does.
Had my appt today, they were so lovely. I had a full Breast exam which was clear, and then an ultra-sound which showed 3 small cysts bunched together. The doc said that these are likley to change with hormones before and after my period and they dont need to do anything. There is nothing sinister. She said that if I find any persistant lumps to go back and they will look at me again.
My sister was with me, and was a huge support.
I’ve been on a total rollercoaster of emotions, and am now emotionally worn out! Had a good sleep this afternoon!
It was good news for me, and I really hope its good news for all of you, thoughts are with you all, and im sending positive vibes n stuff, but know this, they are so good now, we can all come through most things, its the not knowing that is the most worrying thing.
Hugs to you all,
Becky
xxxx

Hi All

I did try and post last night but it dosn’t appear to be showing so hope this one does.
Had my appt today, they were so lovely. I had a full Breast exam which was clear, and then an ultra-sound which showed 3 small cysts bunched together. The doc said that these are likley to change with hormones before and after my period and they dont need to do anything. There is nothing sinister. She said that if I find any persistant lumps to go back and they will look at me again.
My sister was with me, and was a huge support.
I’ve been on a total rollercoaster of emotions, and am now emotionally worn out! Had a good sleep this afternoon!
It was good news for me, and I really hope its good news for all of you, thoughts are with you all, and im sending positive vibes n stuff, but know this, they are so good now, we can all come through most things, its the not knowing that is the most worrying thing.
Hugs to you all,
Becky
xxxx