bad news

bad news

bad news Saw oncologists this morning and it was obvious how bad my breathing had got. Had emergency echo and chest xray. Heart function down a bit but not worryingly so but chest xray awful. It looks as if a child has scribbled all over the xray with a white pen and that is all the spread so it’s now even worse than it was in september. Have started xeloda tonight and stopped herceptin as obviously not doping anything. Apparently after this there is only gemcitabine/carboplatin left if my bone marrow can take it. Apparently as now had vineralbine I’m not eligible for tykerb trial which I’m really angry about. Does anyone know more about this? He said we are looking at months so really down and upset.
Hope you are all faring better than I
Kate

Hi Kate I’m so sorry to hear of your lung progression and I really hope xeloda does you LOADS of good. I haven’t yet had a scan to see how it’s treating me (half way through third cycle) but I do feel better so I’m pretty sure it must be doing something. Xeloda is another of the chemos you can stay on indefinitely so I really hope it works for you. I understand you must be feeling pretty damn awful right now, and don’t have any major words of wisdom for you, so just letting you know I’ll be thinking of you and willing those orange pills to do their worst (or best, which ever way you look at it). Take care.

Love Jenny
x

hang in there kate Kate

I’m so sorry to hear this… i have been reading your gobby gang postings for a while now on the younger womens threads…

You are so strong and an inspiration, i really hope the xeloda works for you…

Just wanted to you know i am thinking about you…

hugs

Jakki

xx

Dear Kate So sorry to read that you have had this news today and are feeling so down and upset, I would just like to say that you are welcome to contact our helpline for information regarding your query about the tykerb trial. The helpline staff will also be able to offer you support and a ‘listening ear’ at any time if you feel this would help.

The helpline number is 0808 800 6000 and is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Kind regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

God Kate, this all sucks. Have been reading your posts for some time and always draw inspiration from the way you fight please don’t give up fight as long and hard as you can. thinking of you

Kiwigirl

Kate I had a really good result with Xeloda…hopefully you will too.
Hang in there…hopefully months will be years.
Best to you

Nicky

I have posted this on behalf of Terry
Kind Regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care

My wife has been on Xeloda for a year nearly now, got rid of her lung spots very quickly.

Her bones have not improved and her liver still isthe same, but hang on in there, it is not the end Xeloda seems to be pretty good stuff.

Last March they said she would be gone by Christmas, well she is still here !!

I know that things look bad at the moment. Just remember that you are strong enough to take the xeloda and that it has a good chance of working. I have been told on numerous occassions that I only have a short number of months but as has happened with a lot of us here, I’m still here way beyond those short months and managing to enjoy myself.
Look after yourself.
Ruth

Thinking of you Dear Kate I have not been on the site for a few days and have only just read your post.

I am so sorry to hear that things are not going well for you just now but wanted to say that you have been an inspiration to me over the last few months.

You always have words of encouragement for everyone and I reallt hope that Xeloda works well for you.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Take care
Faffer

Hi Kate

So sorry to hear your news. I don’t have any experience of the chemo drugs but reading all the other posts it seems that Xeloda has positive results. Keep on fighting and hopefully this drug will work well for you.

all the best

Barbara

Hi Kate
I read and post on these forums for my sister who has and still having a rough time but when she commenced xeloda she had really good results. Liver , lung and brain mets all shrunk so hoefully you will have better luck with this.
hanbags

to dippykate Hang in there Kate! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your kids and husband.

Love, Suzy

Hi dippykate

I just wanted to join everyone else in wishing you all the best on xeloda. When you are next in fighting mode I would question the tykerb ruling and do some googling and phoning around but hopefully you won’t need it!!

Keep fighting

blondie

thank you Thank you to everyone who has replied. It means a lot.
I’m off to stay with my mum and see my sister etc for a few days with the children so won’t have access to the computer till about friday.
Beginning to feel a bit sick but have gone off food which doesn’t help. I think that is a shock reaction more than anything else and I’m quite sure when I’m away with my sister and mum and all the nieces etc I’ll feel a bit better and will eat more.
Speak again soon

Thinking of you Kate Hi Kate
I am only just getting caught up with your thread and i am just so sorry to hear your news. I am glad that you are going to be staying at your Moms for a few days. I am sure that it will help you with the children and hope that you are feeling a bit better. I am praying that the Xeloda works and your lung spots will disappear. Fingers and toes crossed for you. I wanted to let you know that i was thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs from over the pond. I am waiting for my appt on wednesday to see if i have lung secondaries so i really can empathasize with you and how you feel with the shortness of breath as i am also short of breath and it really scares me. My CT showed nodules in both lungs but further evaluation as to whether or not these nodules are secondaries or not has been requested by the radiologist.
Hope that i will get some news on Wednesday.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I have been reading your posts for sometime now and you are such a source of strength and inspiration for me.
Wishing you the best. You are so strong
lots of hugs
karen