Bi lateral masectomy

Bi lateral masectomy

Bi lateral masectomy I have posted this on behalf of new user Tammy

Breast Cancer Care

Hi im tammy and have just recently found out im carring a mutation a the brca1 gene. I will be having a bilateral mastectomy in feb/mar 07 i would like to hear from anyone who is going through the same as i am finding it really hard to cope with. I have got the gene from my father who does not believe i am carrying the mutation and that i am making it all up (if only i was!). So i would love to hear other peoples stories just to know im not alone here. Thanks!!

Hi Tammy You are not alone, there are LOADS of us ! Check back on my previous threads for my info…

I have BRAC2 and am having surgery Jan 07.

You will find lots of support here and also on the “other” website.
Not sure where you are from until your profile gets cleared but,
we are also arranging a get together in December you are more than welcome to join us, check out

phpbbserver.com/breastcancer there is a genetic forum on there with the facility to private message and email.

Take care
Lisa xx

My BRCA1 from my Dad too! Hi Tammy,

I have also got the BRCA 1 gene mutation from my Father. I am not sure if he knows or not - we have very little contact since he & my Mother divorced 15 yrs ago.
I know exactly what you’re going through as do so many of us on this site. Keep your chin up - at least you know about it and will be monitored.
I had a Nipple preserving preventative Bilateral Mastectomy on 30th September. I have tissue expanders in at the moment which will eventually be replaced by silicon implants in about 6 to 8 months time when everything is healed and settled down.
I am uncomfortable at the moment but not in pain. I don’t look very nice at the moment but its early days and i have seen the end results as three of my cousins have already had this op. They look perfectly normal now - better actually because they all have nice perky boobs - no middle age droop any more!
I don’t regret it one bit - even looking the way I do right now!
There are a lot of choices to make with regard to the surgery - take your time and research as much as you can until you feel happy to make the decision which is right for you.
good luck
Gingernut X

Thanks Posted for new user Tammy

Hi im Tammy and recently put a post on here as i found out i carry the brca1 gene mutation and was feeling very alone. I would just like to thank all the people who replied to my post as i am now feeling much better about my situation and im now starting to come to terms with the fact i have this faulty gene. So again thanks for the support that you all have offered me you have all been a great help and i shall now be a regular visitor on here!

Again THANK YOU!!!