Bone scan highlighting lumbar vertebrae and pelvis

Hi there,

Looking for reassurance. I had grade 3 hormone receptive BC in 2021. Only required radiotherapy and hormone treatment.

I’m 44 and Recently had some lower back and hip pain and have had a bone scan which highlighted my lumbar vertebra and pelvis. My consultant has asked for a Ct scan to be done in order to compare both scans as was unable to rule anything out.

Worried sick that I have bone mets. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar which turned out to be ok .

Many thanks xx

Oh what a worry. I started to get dreadful lower back/pelvic pain after starting hormone treatment at the end of all my active treatment (surgery, chemo & radio). They did an MRI scan & it showed degenerative disc disease. This was not caused by the cancer by exacerbated by the hormone treatment. I know another friend that had a bone scan for hip pain & found she had cysts.
So, I guess I’m saying there are other things than the cancer that can cause issues with our bodies. It’s just that’s where our minds naturally go.
Wishing you all the best. :crossed_fingers:t2::four_leaf_clover:

Hello simba22

Thank you for posting your question.

It is understandable and natural to feel worried about symptoms following a breast cancer diagnosis. Many people treated for breast cancer worry about secondary breast cancer and you’re not alone in being anxious about this

Most importantly you reported your symptoms, and your consultant has requested further imaging to help explain what is causing your lower back and hip pain. It must be a difficult time for you waiting for the CT scan and results. As @nmann says, it is a worry and after her investigations it was found the symptoms of back pain were not caused by cancer and that there are other things that can cause pain.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events. As you are aged 44 there is support designed specifically for younger women (20-45 years) with breast cancer. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Helen

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.