boney metastases in skull

I have been diagnosed with metastatic disease in my skull, which was found after I had a lot of pain and soreness in my head. Can anyone tell me if this can affect the brain - spread there?

I had breast cancer in 1999 and a mastectomy and it had spread to a lot of lymph nodes but not anywhere else.

Hi bryonie

I am sorry to read of your diagnosis. Whilst you are waiting for other forum users to reply please don’t hesitate to contact the Breast Cancer Care help line. You are able talk to someone in confidence and the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC facilitator

Hello Bryonie, I too have bone mets, the bone mets in your skull won’t make it anymore likely you will develop brain mets.
I’m sorry to read your news though, what treatment will you be having? I was diagnosed with both bc and bone mets in 2003. Belinda…xx

Hi Byronie,

Sorry to hear of your recent mets diagnosis. DawnHC was diagnosed with mets to the skull around 5 years ago and has had no spread to the brain. I will try and get her to come and post; she is having a break from the forums as somebody recently upset her.

You could search for her old posts on here - she really is inspirational.

Best wishes

RMW

Hi RMW…please tell Dawn yes she is inspirational…I hope she’s back soon…x

Hi Bryonie,
Sorry to hear of your dx.
I have found this site a huge support as there are many women who have had mets for a lot of years now and it is being controlled… me included.
What treatment will you be on?
Wishing you all the best,
Biking girl
xx

Hi Bryonie

So sorry to hear about your recent bone mets diagnosis, but you’ve come to the right place for information, advice and support.

After my primary BC diagnosis in 1997, I was diagnosed with bone (and liver) mets in 2003, including bone mets in my skull. At the time, I asked the same question (will it transfer to my brain?) and was told not from bone mets, so was relieved. Haven’t had any skull met pain, and, with four years of oral bisphosphonates (Bondronat), an aromatase inhibitor (now Aromasin) for my ER++ BC and tablet chemotherapy (Xeloda, now on a low dose), I don’t have much pain, lead a relatively “normal” life and feel pretty good.

Once you start having a bisphosphonate (tablet or intra-venous) to strentghen and protect your bones, you should hopefully feel less pain. I remember that my bone met pain decreased significantly shortly after starting my bisphosphonate tablets. Good luck with your treatments, and do remember to ask about whatever you need to know – ask your oncologist, Mac Nurse, hospice, BCC and us.

Regards, Marilyn x