Borderline chemo triple negative bc but conflicting advise

Had grade 3 triple neg tumour 3cms removed with clean margins and clear nodes in Feb. Was told I was borderline for chemo but oncologist recommended to have 6 lots of FECX followed by 3 weeks radio. Started chemo 8 weeks ago after 1st one felt gt then after 7 days had temp & went into hospital for week put on drip of antibiotics. 2nd lot was postponed for 1 week as white cells were borderline and mix reduced by 20%. Again felt gt but after 5 days same happened & have just come out of hospital after 5 days. When I was in hospital ward consultant recommended I stop chemo as risk out weighed benefits as I was borderline & this was for extra insurance but as he was not my consultant it wasn’t his call. My oncologist wants me to continue as he thinks it would be beneficial. At first he said on next dose he would remove the F. Then he said I might be better having 1 treatment for 9 weeks of a milder chemo they would give to frail elderly people. I am a very healthy young fit 63 year old but in a real dilemma. I believe the onco type test is not yet available for triple neg! After looking at this forum I feel really naive about all these tests. I did also suggest both consultants should discuss alternatives together instead of leaving me with a decision I feel ill informed to make!!! HELP please! If you can point me in right direction of appropriate questions & data to ask for to convince me chemo is the best route! Thanks!

Hi smilersue,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been given conflicting advice and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 


Hi  I was triple negative. Had Mx in March. No lymph nodes or vascular involvement. Told it was 5% possibility of recurrence. I am due to start FEC-T x 6 next week. I was not given choice of chemo or not. Told it would mop up any stray cells which may have escaped. I would rather have chemo and make sure nothing was lurking anywhere in my body than risk not doing it.


Lump was 2.4cm, not close to chest wall and no radiotherapy needed.

Hello Smilersue, sorry to hear of your situation, a lot of contradiction in the opinions, but its good you share it relevantly. Are they given you choice for chemo or they announce it to you?. A second opinion in this complex situation Good Luck!