Breast Awareness/Breast screening for men

Chicken and egg question.

Hi everyone, it’s a long time since I posted on this site and I am sorry I haven’t been more involved.

Clunkshift says why not call it “chest” cancer…I think this is misleading because the chest is a very general term and does not specify the cancer enough. For those in denial(respectfully) gives the impression that men cannot accept that they have breasts.

The pure and simple fact is that men have breast tissue, just not as much as women.

This is where the chicken and egg comes in, they are not aware that they can get breast cancer, because most men do not believe that they have breasts. I believe that this is the fundamental problem that makes most men ignore any lump or minor discomfort in the breast area until it is too late, hence the high mortality rate. I was diagnosed at the age of 41, but simply because I didn’t ignore the lump I had. I was just as ignorant of breast cancer back then (4 years ago) and had to search long and hard to find information.

I have noticed more these days, “Mens” magazines like FHM, publishing articles will undoubtedly help the younger generation’s awareness, which is great, but what about the older men who do not read this type of mag?

Much good work has been done, there is much more to do, but it will take a very long time until the statistics show the improvement unfortunately.

Love to all.

Regards

Brian