Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I’ve posted an opportunity for feedback, specifically about secondary bc, here
share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34411&p=600477#p600477

Alesta, you’re so right about the dirty little secret. My family and friends have been fantastic but on a more general level I think there’s still some of that superstitious attitude about cancer, you whisper it or you don’t say it at all, as if the word itself has some kind of evil power.

I found myself doing that at first, you feel guilty or apologetic about ruining someone’s day by telling them you’ve got cancer! It reminds me of when alcoholics have to get up at and confess at AA. “My name’s Monica and I’ve got breast cancer” Now I’ve decided that when people I don’t know very well see me and ask “How are you?” I tell them. It’s not bubonic plague, you won’t catch it off me! That must be 10 times worse for men.

MonicaS

Hi everyone.

I was interviewed for Woman’s Hour last Wednesday. The topic was the best way give a terminal diagnosis - from a doctor’s and patient’s viewpoint. Alongside myself was Professor Jonathan Waxman an oncologist at Hammersmith Hospital, London. There’s not often much publicity for those of us with secondaries, so I was more than happy to participate. Here is the link below - it’s the first item on the programme.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016x22t

Best wishes
Alison

Hi Tawny/Alison, Just listened to the article on Woman’s hour. Thank you for participating in this discussion and giving a slice of what it is like to receive a Secondary Diagnosis. I have had bone mets for over 12 years now and was given a poor life expectancy…but, as was mentioned in the discussion, no one knows as it depends on how you respond to your treatment and every cancer patient is different. Thank you. Val